College History

Tarrant County College was established by a countywide election on July 31, 1965, as Tarrant County Junior College, the name change coming in 1999. The South Campus opened in 1967, followed by Northeast (1968), Northwest (1976), Southeast (1996) and Trinity River Campus (2009). The Center of Excellence for Aviation, Transportation and Logistics (CEATL) opened in Fall 2014 at Alliance Airport as part of the Northwest Campus. The College District is governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees elected for staggered six-year terms in single member districts.

Enrollment growth has been steady throughout recent years. The South Campus, at 4,772, had the largest opening-day enrollment of any community college in the nation up to that time. Overall credit student enrollment passed the 20,000 mark in 1980 and exceeded 50,000 in the fall of 2011. Recently, TCC was named the seventh-largest college or university in Texas.

TCC is currently celebrating its Golden Jubilee, recognizing 50 years since the college was established in 1965. Find out more information about TCC's 50th Anniversary.


Updated June 09, 2015


Tarrant County College District 1500 Houston Street Fort Worth, Texas 76102 • Information Center: 817-515-8223 Hearing / Speech Impaired (TTY)
Online Institutional Resumes (per Sec. 51A.002, Texas Education Code) • An Achieving the Dream Institution
Report A Problem • Report Fraud