Velocity Dance Company
South Campus's resident dance company, Velocity, has been described as "urban, eclectic and edgy." Velocity dancers represent TCC both on campus and in the community.
Velocity performs a preprofessional mixed repertoire of modern, contemporary, hip hop and jazz works.
Velocity presents 2 formal on-campus dance concerts, one at the end of each academic semester. In addition, we perform between 10 and 20 times per semester at various events and in various locations throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
All dancers are selected through an audition process held before the first days of the fall semester. To be eligible to audition, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must have danced continually for 1 year prior to auditioning–either in dance classes taught at South Campus, in a dance studio or as part of a high school dance program
- Be a South Campus student–must be enrolled in at least 1 class meeting on South Campus during your year as a member of Velocity
- Possess intermediate to advanced level training in at least 2 of the following technique and performance areas: jazz, hip hop, modern or ballet
- Be available to rehearse 8–10 hours per week outside of regular class and work commitments
- Must enroll in Dance Performance if selected
In addition to performing, we volunteer and teach dance in multiple locations throughout the city including a Big Sister Dance Program with several area high school dance programs.
Kiera Amison, Adjunct Professor of Dance
Updated June 23, 2015