We Have a New Application Process
Effective Fall 2015, our application process will be different.
Learn about the changes: New Dental Hygiene Application Process.
Worried about your application?
Call the Health Sciences office (817-515-6435) if you have applied before or if you are concerned about how these changes may affect your application.
You must be able to meet the following performance requirements.
- Visual acuity with corrective lenses to identify oral tissue changes and evaluate treatment (the hygienist measures conditions in millimeters)
- Hearing ability with auditory aids to understand the normal speaking voice without viewing the speakers face and take/hear blood pressure with a stethoscope
- Physical ability to sit for prolonged periods of time, perform repetitive wrist motion for instrumentation and move from room to room or maneuver in limited spaces
- Manual dexterity to use a variety of instruments in the small confined space of the oral cavity and maintain equipment
- Communicate effectively in verbal and written form by:
- Speaking clearly and succinctly when explaining treatment procedures and patient conditions
- Implementing dental health teaching and professional speaking
- Writing legibly and correctly in a patient's chart for documentation of treatment
- Function safely under stressful conditions with the ability to adapt to a changing environment inherent in clinic situations involving patient care
- Computer skills to use a variety of software programs and the Internet for research and course projects. PowerPoint is utilized for presentations.
There is little to no time for outside work during the program. A great deal of patient contact begins the 2nd semester of the program and continues through the end of the program.
Health Sciences Department
Building NHSC, Room 1131
828 W. Harwood Road
Hurst, TX 76054
Updated June 22, 2015