Selective Admissions Process
A committee selects applicants to the program each year. If you submitted a complete
application, you will be notified of your status within the first week of March.
Selections are based on the your accumulative grade point average plus bonus points
earned. Bonus points can be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Completion of degree-specific general education courses with a C or higher prior to
applying. Science courses must have been completed within 5 years of program deadline
- Completion of college-level courses with a C or higher from a regionally accredited
college or university. Points are awarded proportionately to the number of semester
- Bachelor's degree.
- Work experience in the field, for select programs only.
Documentation of work experience required: Documentation of Work/Observation Experience Form and Instructions (PDF will open in new window)
Before You Apply
- The College admissions process must be complete before you can apply to the program.
- You can only apply to 2 selective admissions programs per year. Both programs must
have differing deadline dates.
- Application packets are available from November 1 through the first weekday of February.
- This program will remain at the Northeast Campus in Hurst.
Ways to Make Yourself a Competitive Applicant
- Make A's and B's in most–if not all–college courses
- Confirm that you have met the TSI requirements for credit course enrollment in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (PDF will open in a new window)
- Complete all science courses:
*For selection purposes, science lab courses completed online will not earn bonus points.
- BIOL 2401*
- BIOL 2402*
- BIOL 2420*
- CHEM 1406*
- Make the most of the Documentation of Work/Observation Experience Form and Instructions (PDF will open in a new window) bonus point(s) option
- Make sure you read carefully and follow all directions provided through the website and application packet.
How to Get an Application Packet
Application packets are available only from November 1 through the first weekday in February each year.
Learn More About Our Program
Read our Dental Hygiene Program General Information (PDF will open in a new window)
Applying for Dental Hygiene for Fall 2016?
Be aware the application process may change, effective Fall 2015, but will not be official until the end of Spring 2015.
These changes will not apply to applicants for the Fall 2014-Spring 2015 application cycle.
The proposed changes:
- You will have to complete the Health Education System, Inc. (HESI) Admission Exam.
- If you did not graduate from a high school in the United States or on a U.S. military
installation where English was the primary language, you will have to complete the
TOEFL iBT® test. Learn more about the TOEFL/IELTS Instructions (PDF will open in a new window).
- You will be able to apply only 3 times to our Dental Hygiene Program.
- Science Course Requirements
- All science curriculum courses will have to be completed within 5 years of the submission
of your application to the Dental Hygiene Program. Any sciences older than 5 years
will need to be re-taken.
- BIOL 2401
- BIOL 2402
- BIOL 2420
- CHEM 1406
- Only the highest grade from your first 2 attempts on any science course will be considered
- Exception: A science course that you are required to take more than 2 times because it was older
than 5 years.
- Any course withdrawals will be considered 1 of the 2 attempts.
- ENGL 1301 will no longer be required
Any courses you may have taken prior to Fall 2015 that were required for the A.A.S
in Dental Hygiene will most likely be required as you continue in an A.A.S to B.S
Debra Krebs, Dental Hygiene and Emergency Medical Services Advisement
Building NFAC, Room 1109
828 W. Harwood Road
Hurst, TX 76054
Health Sciences Department
Building NHSC, Room 1131
828 W. Harwood Road
Hurst, TX 76054
Updated March 25, 2015