Nutrition Specialist I
Do I need to apply to this program?
This 15-hour certificate program is open admission. You do not have to fill out a program application.
How to I enroll in this program?
Complete your TCC Active Apply Admission Application and select this certificate as your major.
What is this certificate?
The curriculum for Nutrition Specialist I certificate gives you the knowledge and solid nutrition foundation you need to promote nutrition and healthy eating to the general population.
How does this certificate fit in with my studies?
If you are completing the A.A. degree with the intention to transfer to a Registered Dietitian program, we recommend you complete certificates in both Nutrition Specialist I and Healthy Meal Planning.
What topics are covered?
- Nutrients, digestion and absorption
- Food sources of nutrients
- Nutrition requirements
- Food Labeling
- Healthy vs. undesirable food choices
- Basic food preparation techniques
- Estimating nutrition requirements
- Menu planning for different conditions
- Recipes and menu modifications
- Nutrition assessment and care process
- Medical nutrition therapies
- Nutrition interviewing
- Nutrition programs and promotion
How can I use this certificate?
This level I certificate will help you get an entry-level job in the dietetics field.
You will be able to use your skills in a variety of settings, including:
- Long-term care facilities
- Schools, day care centers and afterschool programs
- Head Start centers
- County extension offices
- Fitness facilities
- Grocery stores
- Specialty meal delivery programs
How much will this program cost?
|Program Component||Estimated Cost|
|Uniforms and Shoes||150|
Updated November 24, 2015