Selective Admissions Process
A committee selects applicants to the program each year. Students with complete applications are notified of their status within three weeks after the program's deadline date.
Selections are based on the applicant's accumulative grade point average plus bonus points earned. Bonus points can be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Completion of degree-specific general education courses prior to applying, with a C or higher.
- Science courses must have been completed within 5 years of program deadline date.
- Note: For selection purposes, science lab courses completed online will not earn bonus points.
Before You Apply
- The College admissions process must be complete before you can apply to the program.
- You can only apply to 2 selective admissions programs per year. Both programs must have differing deadline dates.
- Application packets are available at different times for different programs:
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Program: Open enrollment program does not require an application
- Paramedic Programs:
- Evening Based: Application available March 1 through the 3rd Thursday in June
- Daytime (Shift) Based: Application available July 1 through the 3rd Thursday in October
Application packets are available via:
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person - NHSC Building, Room 1131
You must submit to a criminal background check and drug screen before final acceptance.
All students enrolled in EMS programs are required to submit:
- TCC Health Department Immunization and Health Record form. This must be picked up at the Health Sciences office.
- Record of vaccinations include:
- Completion of a three-shot series for Hepatitis B virus (may require six months to complete).
- Meningococcal Meningitis
- Tuberculosis test within that last 12 months.
- Verification of personal health insurance (required of paramedic students).
You must hold a valid Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR certification issued within the last year, prior to beginning clinical rotations.
EMT Program Requirements
You must meet TCC and state standards in Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
Providing course eligibility requirements are met, you will be accepted until the class enrollment is full.
To enroll in courses, you must first be accepted as a student to TCC.
Paramedic Program Requirements
You must submit:
- Application for Admission to Health Science Program form.
- Copy of current TexasEMT certification.
- Official high school transcript or all college transcripts, including TCC, whichever
- High School - If you have completed fewer than 12 semester hours of college.
- College - If you have completed, or will complete by the deadline date, 12 or more semester hours of college.
Please contact the Health Sciences Department for application deadlines.
Jeff McDonald, Coordinator EMS Program
Health Sciences Department
Building NHSC, Room 1131
828 W. Harwood Road
Hurst, TX 76054
Debra Krebs, Career and Technical Education Advisor
NFAC, Room 1109
Updated February 10, 2016