Five reasons to take speech:
- It's required. Speech is one of the requirements for the Core Curriculum. Most degree plans at TCC
and other colleges and universities require that you take a speech course.
- You will gain important skills. You will spend a great deal of time listening and speaking with others during your
working life. Surveys of business leaders and employers reveal that communication
skills are indispensable.
- You will gain self-confidence. With encouragement and help from well-trained speech instructors, not only will you
learn how to overcome the fear of giving a speech, but you will also achieve an even
more important goal—pride in yourself.
- You will understand others better. Perhaps speech's greatest strength is giving insights from psychology, sociology and
linguistics for improving human relationships.
- It's a fun class. You will have the opportunity to do a variety of group activities and projects or
even compete in the forensics program. From community service projects to class activities,
you will have a chance to be part of a group and to get to know your classmates.
National Communication Association
Texas Speech Communication Association
Updated June 29, 2015