Dual Credit Program
Dual Credit courses allow students to earn college credit while attending high school, beginning as early as their junior year.
Taught by fully credentialed adjunct and full-time TCC faculty, Dual Credit courses
satisfy high school graduation requirements and provide college credit at the same time.
Courses identified as college-level academic courses by the Texas Higher Education
Coordinating Board (THECB) are eligible for Dual Credit coursework. Also, designated
college-level technical education courses may be taken for dual credit. Specific course
offerings are determined through written agreement between the ISD and TCC.
- Your ISD will award high school academic credit.
- TCC will award college-level academic credit.
Dual Credit Benefits
According to the Texas Education Agency (TEA), Dual Credit provides several benefits to students:
- Earning college credits while in high school increases the likelihood that a student
will complete high school and enroll in and persist in college.
- Rigorous and meaningful coursework in high school prepares the student for success
- College credits earned in high school provide a way to satisfy Advanced Measures requirements
for the Distinguished Achievement Program.
- A dual credit student leaves high school already having begun his/her post-secondary
degree, leading to reduced college costs and eliminating duplication of effort for
highly capable students.
- Students may complete their college degree earlier, leading to earlier entrance into
the workforce, which benefits both students and the economy.
Dual Credit is limited to high school students in grades 11 or 12. Check our Service Areas to see if your school is included.
Dual Credit students:
- Must meet TSI eligibility requirements for college-level coursework
- May not be enrolled in more than two dual credit courses per term
- Are not eligible to enroll in developmental courses for dual credit
- Must earn a “C” or higher in each course attempted to remain eligible for dual credit coursework
Director of Dual Credit Operations
Director of Dual Credit Policy, Compliance and Reporting
Updated May 22, 2014