Student and Advisor Roles
Student Roles and Responsibilities
- Discuss their long-range goals with their advisors.
- Discuss their choice of a major with their advisors.
- Make final decisions about choices concerning academic matters.
- Are able and willing to ask intelligent questions about their degree programs.
- Contact and make appointments with their advisors when required or when in need of assistance.
- Keep advising appointments and are on time.
- Keep their advisors informed of changes in schedules, academic problems, choice of major, etc.
- Gather decision-making information before appointments.
- Follow through on referrals.
- Become knowledgeable and adhere to institutional policies, procedures and requirements.
- Follow through on actions identified during each advising session.
- Accept responsibility for decisions and academic choices.
Advisor Roles and Responsibilities
- Are available to students on a regular basis.
- Create an atmosphere of openness, caring and concern.
- Help students define and develop realistic educational/career plans.
- Assist students in planning a program consistent with their abilities and interests.
- Monitor progress toward educational/career goals.
- Interpret and provide rationale for instructional policies, procedures and requirements.
- Approve all designated educational transactions (e.g., list of approved courses and alternatives).
- Maintain notes in the Web-based advising file for each advisee.
- Refer students when academic attitudinal, attendance or other personal problems require intervention by other professionals.
- Inform students of the nature of the advisor/advisee relationship.
- Assist advisees in identifying career opportunities.
- Develop a caring relationship with advisees.
- Inform students of special services available to them for remediation, academic assistance and other needs.
- Provide students with up-to-date academic information about College and departmental graduation requirements.
- Help resolve academic difficulties.
Updated May 13, 2014