Services to Veterans and Active/Reserve Military
Certification for Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational assistance benefits
are processed by each Registrar's Office.
Applications for benefits should be submitted prior to registration.
Chapter 30, 35, 1606 and 1607 Veterans
To be eligible for full-time benefits, the DVA and TCC require:
- Twelve (12) semester hours in a regular semester
- Four (4) semester hours for each six (6)-week summer semester
Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Veterans
- Are certified based on rate of pursuit.
- Must enroll in at least 51% of the hours required to be full-time students to receive
their monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).
- BAH rate is based on the zip code of the physical location of the school with administrative capability.
- VA does not pay based on the campus the student may actually be attending.
- TCC is approved as one facility, meaning multiple branch campuses without administrative authority and one District
branch with administrative authority.
- VA uses the District administrative branch zip code to determine BAH rates: MOC in
Fort Worth, TX 76102.
Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
This program officially ends March 31, 2014.
VA Educational Benefits
The following non-credit CE programs are approved for VA educational benefits:
- Basic Firefighter Certification 528 Clock Hours
- Basic Peace Officer Certification 656 Clock Hours
- Dietary Manager I & II 120 Clock Hours
- Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) 8 Clock Hours
- Oil & Gas Production 400 Clock Hours
- Registered Dental Assistant 627 Clock Hours
National Guard Members and Reservists
State regulations provide financial and academic options to National Guard members
and Reservists who are called into active service after the beginning of a semester:
- Withdrawal from courses with grade of W and complete refund of tuition
- Receipt of an Incomplete (I) grade for the semester's coursework with a contract to
complete at a specified date in the future
- Receipt of an appropriate grade (as determined by each instructor) if a substantial
amount of coursework has been completed
Active Military Members
State regulations do not provide any option to refund students in the Active Military
whose duties require absence from classes.
Active Military members who incur temporary or intermittent absences due to their
military assignment will be allowed to complete assignments and examinations within
a reasonable time following the absence(s).
Excused absence(s) are allowed for up to 25% of the total class meetings or the contact
Veterans' Advocates at TCC
A Veterans' Advocate is available in each Financial Aid Office to provide information about College programs and services, and as needed, to provide
liaison with other College offices.
Have questions? AskTCC
Hours and Locations
Updated July 31, 2014