Changing Military Residency
If you are a member of the military and your home of record at the time of entry into the service was not Texas, you may be able to change your residence to Texas while in the military.
First, you must be assigned to duty in Texas for at least 12 consecutive months during which you file proper documentation with the military to change your permanent residence to Texas.
Second, you must meet at least four of the eight conditions listed below for the 12 months prior to enrollment:
- Purchase a residence in Texas and claim it as a homestead;
- Register to vote in Texas;
- Register an automobile in Texas;
- Maintain a Texas driver's license;
- Maintain checking account, savings account or safety deposit box in Texas;
- Have a will or other legal documents on file in Texas that indicate residence in Texas;
- Have membership in professional organizations or other state organizations; and/or
- Establish a business in Texas.
Updated July 31, 2014