Concealed Campus Carry Regulations
I. Regulation Statement
The Tarrant County College District (TCCD) is committed to providing a safe environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and to respecting the right of individuals who are licensed to carry a handgun where permitted by law. The District is further committed to developing and implementing Concealed Campus Carry Regulations that meet and are in compliance with Texas Law to include Texas Government Code Section 411.2031 (Carrying of Handguns by License Holders on Certain Campus) and Texas Penal Code 46.035 (Unlawful Carrying of Handgun by License Holder).
The purpose of these regulations is to articulate the reasonable rules, regulations, and provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns by license holders on the premises of Tarrant County College District. These regulations apply to all faculty, staff, students, guests, visitors, and individuals and organizations conducting business or engaged in activities on any Tarrant County College District property.
Provisions for the Concealed Carry of a Handgun
- In compliance with rules and regulations set forth by the Tarrant County College District individuals holding a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL), or License to Carry (LTC), will be allowed to carry their concealed handgun on the premises of the Tarrant County College District to include classrooms, library facilities, and offices.
- Those individuals who hold a valid handgun license from an approved reciprocating state will be allowed to carry their concealed handgun on the premises of the Tarrant County College District.
- A license holder may legally carry a concealed handgun while on Tarrant County College District premises, to include public driveways, streets, sidewalks or walkways, parking lots, parking garages, and any other parking areas, unless prohibited by state or federal law, or by these regulations.
- A Tarrant County College District employee who holds a valid Concealed Handgun License or License to Carry may legally carry a concealed handgun into his or her work area, unless prohibited under these regulations. That individual is not authorized to use the weapon in the course and scope of performing his or her duties.
- In compliance with Texas Labor Code Sections 52.061 and 52.062 (Restriction on Prohibiting Employee Access to or Storage of Firearm or Ammunition), a Tarrant County College District employee who holds a valid Concealed Handgun License or License to Carry may not legally carry or store a handgun in a vehicle owned or leased by Tarrant County College District unless that employee is required to do so in the official discharge of their duties.
- Licensed peace officers may carry authorized weapons on the premises of the Tarrant County College District.
- These regulations permit the lawful possession of simulated firearms for use by participants in any Tarrant County College District sponsored theatrical performance (e.g., stage props), with the approval of the Tarrant County College Police Department.
Exclusions to the Concealed Carry of a Handgun
In accordance with Texas Government Code Section 411.2031 (Carrying of Handguns by License Holders on Certain Campuses) and after consulting with students, staff, and faculty of Tarrant County College District regarding the nature of the student population, specific safety considerations, and the uniqueness of the campus environment, the following areas have been identified and designated as prohibited areas to the legal carrying of a concealed handgun (Prohibited Zone). The listed areas below are for all campuses throughout the Tarrant County College District unless otherwise specified.
- Locations primarily utilized as Theater and Performance Halls.
- Locations primarily providing Health Services.
- Locations primarily providing Testing Services.
- Locations primarily providing Counseling Services.
- Locations primarily utilized for Physical Education and as a
- Locations primarily utilized for Early College High School Programs.
- Locations primarily utilized for Child Care Facilities [Northeast Campus specific].
- Locations primarily utilized as a nonpublic, secure portion of the Tarrant County College Police Department per Texas Government Code 411.207 (Authority of Peace Officer to Disarm).
With the acknowledgment that many areas of Tarrant County College District are utilized for a variety of events, the following designated events/proceedings, regardless of the location, will be designated as prohibited areas to the legal carrying of a concealed handgun (Prohibited Zone).
- Any location temporarily utilized as a Polling Place on the day of a federal, state, or local election, including while early voting is in progress per Texas Penal Code 46.03 (Places Weapons Prohibited).
- Any location temporarily utilized to hear student or employee Discipline Hearings, Grievance Hearings, or Appeals Proceedings.
- Any location temporarily utilized for a University Interscholastic League (UIL) sanctioned event.
- Any location temporarily utilized for a Tarrant County College District Board of Trustees Meeting, or any other official governmental meeting.
At the request of the Tarrant County College District's Chancellor, or their designee, reasonable temporary restrictions to the legal carrying of a concealed handgun (Temporary Prohibited Zones) will be allowed. This provision is allowed as necessary for campus safety and will take into consideration specific safety considerations and the uniqueness of the campus environment. Any Temporary Prohibited Zones will be prominently posted on the Tarrant County College District website notifying license holders of the area affected.
Restrictions to the Concealed Carry of a Handgun
- Pursuant to Texas Government Code Section 411.2031 a license holder may legally carry a concealed handgun in areas not identified as Prohibited Zones. This does not apply to rifles or prohibited weapons as it remains unlawful to be in possession of these items on any Tarrant County College District property.
- Tarrant County College District will not provide any type of storage facilities for handguns of license holders.
- The responsibility of maintaining control and ensuring safekeeping of a concealed handgun lies with the license holder.
- The responsibility of being aware of Prohibited Zones and Temporary Prohibited Zones lies with the license holder.
- Handguns of license holders will not be stored at Tarrant County College District or in any of the following areas on Tarrant County College District property: lockers, cabinets, storerooms, closets, cupboards, desks, or offices.
Violations and Penalties
- Pursuant to Texas Penal Code 46.035, it is unlawful for a license holder to carry a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on Tarrant County College District premises.
- Pursuant to Texas Penal Code 46.03, it is unlawful for an unlicensed individual to carry any type of firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon on the premises of Tarrant County College District.
- Any and all suspected violations of law or of this policy are to be reported to the Tarrant County College District Police Department for investigation.
- Violations of law or of these regulations may result in criminal and/or civil penalties as well as the violator being subject to disciplinary action by Tarrant County College District.
- In compliance with Texas Penal Code 30.06 (Trespass by License Holder with a Concealed
Handgun) any area designated as a Prohibited Zone by Tarrant County College District,
will have clearly visible signs posted with the following statement:
"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."
- Verbiage will be in both English and Spanish.
- Lettering will appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height.
- All posted signs will be displayed in a conspicuous manner, clearly visible to the public.
- Any area designated as a Temporary Prohibited Zone will have portable signage in compliance with Texas Penal Code 30.06. This signage will be displayed prior to and during the event, as necessary, and will be removed at the conclusion of the event.
- It is in violation of these regulations for any person to tamper with, modify, or remove a notice provided under these regulations.
These regulations will be posted on the Tarrant County College District's website at www.tccd.edu. The Concealed Campus Carry Regulations, Prohibited Zones, and Temporary Prohibited Zones will be widely distributed to the campus community.
The Tarrant County College District will provide a description of agreed upon rules, regulations, and/or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns on the premises of Tarrant County College, along with reasons for the establishment of those provisions, to the Texas Legislature. Subsequently, a report detailing the same, along with any revisions and justification for such, will be submitted no later than September 1st of each even-numbered year to the Texas Legislature and to the appropriate committees.
VI. Effective Date
This policy takes effect on August 1, 2017.
Texas Government Code §411.2031
Texas Government Code §411.207
Texas Penal Code §30.06
Texas Penal Code §46.03
Texas Penal Code §46.035
Texas Labor Code §§52.061 – 52.062
Updated July 05, 2017