Mental Health–Substance Abuse Counseling
Our Mental Health Program provides knowledge and skills in the service areas of mental health, mental retardation, and alcohol and other drug abuse.
Areas of Study
We offer coursework, certificates and an associate degree that prepare you to transfer to mental health programs at 4-year institutions. Our coursework contributes to a foundation of knowledge that complements other programs.
Course topics include:
- Counseling techniques
- Knowledge, skills, and attitudes of chemical dependency counseling
- Educational criteria related to current disciplines in this field
- Educational requirements for preparation for state licensure examination
- Professional expertise needed to deliver quality services.
Mental Health Occupations
Mental health professionals share in the personal reward of helping individuals with psychological and social difficulties in need of their services.
Individuals entering this field should possess:
- Mental stability
- Pass a criminal background history
State licensure is required for chemical dependency counselors.
Cynthia Savage, LPC, LCDC, Assistant Professor/Coordinator
Updated June 25, 2015