Occupational Safety and Environmental Technology
Occupational safety is a critical national issue that must be addressed in all settings. Individuals employed in this discipline are focused on building and maintaining a safe and healthy working environment that complies with local, state and federal regulations.
What You Will Learn
Our program prepares you to perform a wide variety of analytical tests and procedures that are essential in maintaining a healthy and safe working environment. Our graduates add value to an organization because they:
- Interpret local, state and federal government regulations
- Monitor the work environment to provide safety assurances
- Collect samples of hazardous materials for testing
- Dispose of hazardous waste according to local, state and federal regulations
- Analyze the compositions of suspect environments
- Maintain inventory of hazardous or dangerous materials
- Complete compliance reports
- Conduct risk assessments and evaluations
- Instruct employees on safety and health protection techniques
- Develop and instruct employees in emergency action and contingency plans
- Plan proper storage of hazardous materials
- Develop and maintain a hazardous communications employee manual
Our Occupational Safety and Environmental Technology Program familiarizes you with the roles and functions of organization that set health and safety standards, including:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
Upon successfully completing our 2-year program, you will earn an Associate of Applied Science degree that prepares you for employment as an analyst, technician or specialist in such fields as occupational safety, environmental technology or hazardous materials management.
Our Certificate of Completion program will prepare you to seek a position as an environmental health and safety technician.
We encourage you to contact us before you register.
Ali Williamson, Program Coordinator
Donna Herndon, Administrative Assistant
Nicole Graves, Career and Technical Academic Advisor, Public Service Division
Please call or email me to make an appointment.
Updated November 06, 2015