What is Safe Space?
Safe Space aims to:
- Foster self-reflection and identification of bias and prejudice among students, faculty and staff participants so they in turn can meet the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) students
- Create safe spaces, ensure a welcoming campus environment and develop awareness of the LGBTQ experience
- Prepare staff, faculty and students to serve as resources and advocates for LGBTQ students and allies on campus
- Engage in coalition-building by reaching out to every department and academic program, and including members from a variety of interests and academic backgrounds
- Maintain and continue to develop a membership of allies who have pledged to support and affirm LGBTQ students
We designed our Safe Space training for those willing to be an advocate and ally of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. We offer training multiple times every semester throughout the District on our various TCC locations/campuses.
Safe Space Training
This session is designed to equip participants with a foundation of knowledge on how to foster and maintain an inclusive environment for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and questioning, Intersex, Asexual, + (LGBTQIA+) community at TCC. This includes basic cultural information, exploration of social dynamics around gender identity and sexual orientation, and discussion of what the participants as individuals can do to create a safe space for LGBTQIA+ people. Participation is voluntary and open to all TCC students, staff and faculty.
After completing the training, trained individuals receive a Safe Space sign to display in their offices and personal spaces.
Transgender Cultural Awareness Training
Prerequisite: Completion of Safe Space training
This session is designed to introduce participants to the spectrum of transgender, gender-nonconforming, and gender-questioning identities and expressions. This session will help us understand the tools, awareness, skills and mindsets to ensure every member of our community feels respected and valued. Topics will include affirming language, inclusive campus practices and allyship.
Faculty/Staff: Login to WebAdvisor and click on TCC Learn Center to access the training schedule and register for a class.
Students: Students can contact Demesia Razo, TCCD District Safe Space Committee Chair, at email@example.com for registration information.
What are people saying about Safe Space training?
- “I liked how it was interactive and kept me engaged throughout.”
- “I learned how to create a safe place for students to open u about difficult situations.”
- “I learned a better understanding on how to communicate/empathize with LGTB community.”
- “The training session was great and this is one of the 3-hour trainings that I didn’t fall asleep.”
- “The presenters were clear and presented the information well enough to fully understand what Safe Space is.”
Demesia Razo, M.Ed.
District of Workforce Programs
Coordinator of Academic Support Services
Updated February 05, 2018