Youth Explorers Academy
- Ages: Students entering grades 7 and 8
- Dates: July 9th–19th, 2018
- Days: Monday–Thursday
- Time: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Morning session: 8 a.m. – Noon
- Afternoon session: 1–5 p.m.
- Cost per session: $190
- Registration: Begins Monday, April 2, 2018
- Orientation 2018 (Mandatory):
- Wednesday, June 20 or
- Wednesday, June 27
- Times: 6-7 p.m.
- Location: WTLO 1108 (Theatre/Auditorium 1st Floor)
- Application Packet to be posted in 2018.
What Is YEA?
The Youth Explorers Academy (YEA) offers students the opportunity to explore multiple career pathways in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics through project-based classes that allow them to acquire the following marketable skillsets:
- Planning & Design
- Project Management
- Writing & Research
- Presentation & Speaking
The YEA program will offer a rotation of the following four classes for both morning and afternoon sessions:
- Mega-Bridge Competition
- Teams collaborate to compete for the most reliable and strongest bridge design.
- Hot-Wheels Race
- Student pairs design and race a car to compete for the longest distance traveled.
- STEM Pathways
- Participants engage in discussions, journaling, research, and public speaking surrounding a topic of their choosing.
- Rube Goldberg Challenge
- Groups build a simple and quirky machine with a prescribe number of steps to achieve a task.
Community & Industry Education Services
Updated August 21, 2017