Quick Program Facts
- Number of courses: 9
- Total hours: 580
- Length of program:
- Full time: 5 1/2 to 6 months
- Part time: 8 to 9 months
- Times offered: rolling schedule
- Once a program completes, a new program starts 2 weeks later.
- Accreditation: Texas Department of State Health Services
- Cost: $2,900
- Does not include testing fees, textbooks or uniforms
- Admission requirements: Must have a verbal interview and pass a criminal background check
- Financial aid: TPEG, TCC Foundation
- Campus: South
- Types of instruction: classroom, labs, practicum, internship
- Certification: TCC Certification of Completion
Our Massage Therapy Certification Program is designed to teach you the techniques of Swedish Massage.
During the 580-hour program, you will learn to perform:
- Chair massage
- Hot stone massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Simple reflexology foot massage
- 2-therapist massage treatments in collaboration with a classmate
Our course prepares you for the:
- Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx)
- Developed and maintained by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB)
- Texas Massage Therapy Jurisprudence exam for licensure
Full-time Day Program
The Massage Therapy Certification full-time day program takes approximately 5 1/2 to 6 months to complete.
- Next day class: July 2017 through January 2018
- Class times:
- Monday–Thursday, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (with an hour for lunch)
- Clinical internship (second quarter of the program): Fridays from 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Part-time Evening Program
The Massage Therapy Certification part-time evening program takes approximately 8 to 9 months to complete.
- Next night class: August 2017 through March 2018
- Class times:
- Monday–Thursday, 6–10 p.m.
- Clinical internship (second half of the program): select Saturdays, 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Credentials in Detail
After successfully completing this program, you will be prepared to take the:
- MBLEx (FSMTB)
- Texas Massage Therapy Jurisprudence exam for licensure as a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT)
The state will require a drug test prior to issuing a license.
Courses You Will Take
Check availability: Go to the Course Sections Offered by Term page and scroll down to Continuing Education Terms.
- MSSG-1005 MSG: Hydrotherapy
- MSSG-1009 MSG: Health and Hygiene
- MSSG-1011 MSG: Massage Fundamentals I
- MSSG-1013 MSG: Anatomy and Physiology
- MSSG-1007 MSG: Business Practices & Ethics
- MSSG-2013 MSG: Kinesiology for Massage
- MSSG-2011 MSG: Massage Fundamentals II
- MSSG-2014 MSG: Pathology for Massage
- MSSG-2086 MSG: Internship
How to Apply
- Get an information packet
- Return the following to the South Campus CIE Services Office:
- High School Diploma or GED or transcript from any academic institution
- 2 health certificates
- 1 filled out by you
- 1 filled out by your physician
- Copy of your Texas Driver’s License
- Copy of your Social Security Card (required by State of TX for licensure)
- Agreement for background check (required by State of TX for licensure)
- Personal information form
- TPEG Educational Grant form
- Become a TCC student
- Apply for Admission to TCC to be an eligible CIE Student
- Important exception: You cannot register online for Massage Therapy classes.
- You must register for Massage Therapy classes in person (see Step 5).
- Wait to hear from us
- After we have received and reviewed all of your paperwork, we will contact you for an interview.
- We will give you clearance to register once your documents are approved, and you are accepted into the program.
- Register for class in person
- Get registration paperwork from Roberta Wolff (SHPE 1412).
- Complete the registration process in person.
- Pay your tuition amount
- Your tuition payment secures your place in our program.
- You must pay for the classes (program quarter) you are registering for—approximately half of the total tuition.
Updated November 19, 2018