Registered Dental Assistant
Quick Program Facts
- Number of courses: 11 + Nitrous Oxide Course & Exam
- Total hours: 712 + 8-hour Nitrous Oxide Course & Exam
- Length of program: 22 weeks
- Schedule: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Times offered: fall and spring
- Approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- In conjunction with the Workforce Education Course Manual course criteria and guidelines
- Financial aid: TPEG, TCC Foundation, VA Benefits
- Campus: Northeast
- Admission: Requires acceptance into program
- You will learn about this at the required orientation session.
- Types of instruction: classroom, laboratory, clinical, practicum (externship)
- TCC Certificate of Completion
- Registered Dental Assistant Certification
- Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certification
Our 22-week program of prepares you to work as a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA).
- Didactic portion: Teaches you the fundamentals of dental assisting procedures and job entry skills.
- Clinical portion: Gives you access to actual work situations.
Graduates of our program must meet the requirements for:
- Texas State Board of Dental Examiners Registered Dental Assistant
- Nitrous Oxide Monitoring course and exam
Eligibility Requirements and Prerequisites
- Attend an orientation session
- Provide a copy of your high school diploma or GED certificate
- Take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment–Reading & Math
provide copies of your scores on SAT, ACT, TAKS or STAAR (valid for 5 years) for review
provide degree verification
provide veteran-exempt / military waiver
- Complete 12 observation hours in a dental office
- Complete all required forms
- Complete the Immunization and Health Record Form
- Provide a copy of current immunizations record, including the annual flu vaccine
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a criminal background check
- Provide copy of current CPR Card (Health Care Provider)
- Provide proof of health insurance
- We do not offer College-sponsored student health insurance.
- The following companies offer student insurance but are not endorsed by TCC:
- Associated Insurance Plans International, Inc.
- E.J. Smith & Associates
- Insurance for Students
- Student Benefits International
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening
Before being accepted to the Registered Dental Assistant Program, you must undergo and pass:
- A criminal background check.
- This check will be administered through the GroupOne and will be at your expense.
- There are no exceptions.
- For students who may have a criminal background:
- Be advised that the background could keep you from being registered by the State of Texas.
- Contact Laurie Semple, Program Coordinator, if you have a question about your background and state registration.
- Know you have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.
- The required drug screening before you are placed in a clinical site.
How It Works
If you fail to follow instructions, you will incur additional costs.
- Complete Application
- We will notify you by email when all your admission paperwork has been completed.
- Background Check
- Our program coordinator will tell you to complete a criminal background check through GroupOne.
- We will send you an email with your link to GroupOne.
- You will go online to complete your background check.
- Admissions Status
- Based upon a review of your background check results, our program coordinator will email you to let you know your admissions status.
Credentials in Detail
After successfully completing our program, you will receive:
- TCC Certificate of Completion
- Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) and Nitrous Oxide Monitoring certifications through the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners (TSBDE)
Courses You Will Take
Check availability: Go to the Course Sections Offered by Term page and scroll down to Continuing Education Terms.
- DNTA-1001 Dental Materials
- DNTA-1003 RDA Course & Exam
- DNTA-1005 Dental Radiology
- DNTA-1015 Chairside Assisting
- DNTA-1037 Dental Science
- DNTA-1041 Dental Laboratory Procedures
- DNTA-1042 Intermediate Dental Assisting Applications
- DNTA-1045 Preventive Dentistry
- DNTA-1051 Dental Office Management
- DNTA-1053 Dental Assisting Applications
- DNTA-1060 Clinical
- DNTA-1091 Nitrous Oxide Course & Exam
- Time: 1–3 p.m.
- Location: NSTU 1506 (map)
- Day: Tuesday
- October 3
- November 7
- December 5 (NHSC 1106, map)
How to Apply
Register for the Registered Dental Assistant courses.
Explore Our Professional Development Courses
- Coronal Polishing Course
- Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Exam Review:
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- National Entry Level Dental Assistant (NELDA)
- Digital/VPS Impressions & Provisionals
- Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Course & Exam
- Pit & Fissure Sealant Course
- Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) Course & Exam
Community & Industry Education Services
Updated December 11, 2017