Quick Program Facts
- Number of courses: 1
- 10 weeks
- Total hours: 80
- Classes meet Monday & Wednesday, 6–10 p.m.
- Program certification: Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA)-certified academy
- Financial aid:
- Campus: Northwest
Security+ is the fundamental certification for entry-level cybersecurity professionals. The certificate meets the regulatory requirements for some government and government-contractor jobs.
According to CompTIA, Security+ emphasizes hands-on, practical skills. Topics covered include:
- Legal environment
- Risk management
- Vulnerabilities & countermeasures
After successfully completing this certification, you will be prepared to solve a wide range of security issues.
You will be work-ready and prepared for an entry-level job in the cybersecurity field.
What is CompTIA?
CompTIA is a non-profit trade association that serves as the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications in the world.
Do I need computer experience?
You should have basic computer experience and a knowledge of information technology (IT) concepts.
Credentials in Detail
After successfully completing this course, you will receive a TCC Certificate of Completion.
CompTIA Certification Exams
You will also be prepared to sit for the CompTIA Security+ certification exams.
You can use the vouchers included in your tuition to take the CompTIA certification tests at these locations:
- TCC Professional Certification Testing Center on Northwest Campus, which is a state-of-the-art PearsonVUE testing facility
- Any PearsonVUE facility worldwide
Course You Will Take
- ITSY-1000 Fundamentals of Info Security
Check course availability
- Go to MyTCCTrack: Search for Courses & Course Sections—Advanced Search.
- Under Term, select a Continuing Education (CE) Term.
- Example: CE Qtr 3 2021 Mar-May
- Under Academic Level, choose Continuing Education.
- Select Search.
- Use the Filter Results menu to help you narrow your search:
- Under Availability, choose Open Sections Only to find classes that aren't full.
- Under Subject, choose a subject to further filter the results.
How to Apply
Get started: Apply & register for class
R. Greg Harris
Chair of Information Technology
Updated October 05, 2021