Landmarks of Social Memory
From the WWI Trenches to the WWII Beaches of Normandy
Join us for an unforgettable trip to see how societies’ construct their history for future generations to learn through creation of historical landscapes. Societies use memorials and monuments to form a narrative that they want remembered. We will visit places that were central to the history of the 20th century.
This will be a unique and memorable 7-night guided tour via bus across areas of Northern France and Belgium.
You can also enroll as a non-credit student and enjoy the tour program for personal enrichment.
- Locations: Northern France and Belgium
- Instructor: Laura Matysek Wood, Ph.D.
- Dates: May 13–June 28, 2019 (Extended spring miniterm course)
- Course Credit: HIST 1302 and/or SOCI 1301 (You also have the option to enroll in both)
- Cost: $3000 (does not include tuition)
- Deadline to Join Program: October 19, 2018 by 5 p.m. (Deposit of $1500)
- Note: This program is open to both students and community members.
What is included in the cost?
Cost includes airfare, bus with tour guide, travel insurance, accommodations in hotels (2-3 people to a room), breakfasts, lunches, and 3 dinners. Tuition is not included.
Is financial aid available?
Financial aid veterans benefits, etc., can be used to pay for tuition. Check with the Financial Aid office on your campus concerning whether you can use any aid towards travel costs.
What is required while I take this class?
Most classwork will be completed online before the trip. The trip itself will have a group visual project and journals, which will be presented when the group returns.
You should be prepared for extensive walking, usually on uneven ground and in the heat.
If you register for the class as a CIE student, you must also participate in the group activity and presentations.
Will there be extra information sessions?
An information session about the course will be held Friday, September 7, 2018, at Northwest Campus.
Once you’ve enrolled in the class, there will be 6 required pre-trip meetings and 1-2 post-trip meetings. All meetings will be in the morning in May and June at Northwest Campus.
How can I register?
- Email SocialMemory@tccd.edu to obtain the required trip deposit slip, travel application and additional instructions.
- Using the deposit slip, take your $1500 non-refundable deposit to the Business Services Office on your campus by October 19, 2018.
- Take a photo of your deposit confirmation that shows your name, and submit it along with your travel application to SocialMemory@tccd.edu.
- Pay the remainder of your travel fees, due in 3 installments:
- $500 due by November 9, 2018
- $500 due by January 18, 2019
- $500 due by February 15, 2019
The initial $1500 deposit is non-refundable (unless the courses are canceled). Tuition is separate and any refunds are covered by our tuition refund policies.
For more information, email SocialMemory@tccd.edu.
Updated July 12, 2018