Landmarks of Social Memory
The course(s) will examine how societies construct their history for future generations to learn through creation of historical landscapes. Societies use memorials and monuments to form a narrative that they want remembered, whether these are completely accurate or not.
The program will visit many sites across the Boston area including but not limited to:
- Freedom Walk
- JFK Presidential Library
- Lexington & Concord
- Harvard University
- USS Constitution
- Bunker Hill
- Paul Revere’s Home
You can also enroll as a non-credit student and enjoy the tour program for personal enrichment.
- Locations: Boston, Massachusetts
- Instructors: Laura Matysek Wood, Ph.D. and Jason Clark-Miller, Ph.D.
- Dates: May 14-June 29, 2018, with travel June 16-22, 2018 (Extended spring miniterm course)
- Course Credit: HIST 1301 or SOCI 1301 (You also have the option to enroll in both)
- Cost: $1000 (does not include tuition or meals)
- Deadline to Join Program: January 31, 2018 by 5 p.m. (Deposit of $300 and class registration due)
- Note: This program is open to both students and community members.
What is included in the cost?
Cost includes airfare, all transportation, tours/fees, and housing for 6 nights. Tuition and food are not included.
Is financial aid available?
Financial aid veterans benefits, etc., can be used to pay for tuition. Check with the Financial Aid office on your campus concerning whether you can use any aid towards travel costs.
What is required while I take this class?
Most classwork will be completed online before the trip. The trip itself will have a group visual project and journals, which will be presented when the group returns.
You should be prepared for extensive walking, usually on uneven ground and in the heat.
If you register for the class as a CIE student, you must also participate in the group activity and presentations.
Will there be extra information sessions?
There are required pre-trip meetings and one post-trip meeting. All meetings will be at Northwest Campus.
How can I register?
- Email SocialMemory@tccd.edu to obtain the required trip deposit slip and additional instructions.
- Using the deposit slip, take your $300 non-refundable deposit to the Business Services Office on your campus by January 31, 2018.
- Take a photo of your deposit confirmation that shows your name, TCC ID number, and course, and email it to email@example.com.
- Pay the remainder of your travel fees, due in two installments: February 23 and March 23, 2018.
The initial $300 deposit is non-refundable (unless the courses are canceled). Tuition is separate and any refunds are covered by our tuition refund policies.
For more information, email SocialMemory@tccd.edu.
Updated October 24, 2017