On September 20, 2017, Hurricane Maria slammed into Puerto Rico and overtook the entire island. Over a year has passed since then and the population of this United States Commonwealth is still engulfed in the rebuilding process.
In this study abroad offering, you have a choice of SPAN 2312 (Intermediate Spanish) or PHTC 2331 (Architectural Photography). Working together, you and other TCC students will experience what life is like now in what was once known as the Island Paradise of the Caribbean.
Both classes will collaborate interviewing and photographing residents of the island, discovering changes that have occurred and how the people are coping with their new reality. In addition, you will tour various areas of the island, tasting the food, sampling the music and dance, and sailing the beautiful waters of the Caribbean.
- Location: Puerto Rico
- Instructors: Patricia Richards and Humberto Rodríguez
- Class Dates: February 4–March 29, 2019
- Travel Dates: March 8–16, 2019
- Course Credit: PHTC 2331: Architectural Photography, and/or SPAN 2312: Intermediate Spanish (You also have the option to enroll in both)
- Cost: $1500 (does not include tuition or airfare)
- Deadline to Join Program: January 25, 2019
- Note: This program is open to both students and community members.
What is included in the cost?
- Hotel for 8 nights, with breakfast (based on double occupancy)
- Transportation to and from the Puerto Rico airport
- Two group dinners
- Harbor sail
- Salsa dance class
- Afro-percussion drum workshop
- All day trip to the interior of the island
- El Yunque National Rainforest and trip to town of Loíza
- All day in Arecibo
- All day in Ponce
What costs are not included?
Costs not included in the program are:
- TCC tuition
- Medical and trip insurance
- Meals not listed above
- Occasional taxi fares
- Any supplies necessary to complete the classes (see ICRs for each class)
- Travel inside of San Juan
Is financial aid available?
Financial aid veterans benefits, etc., can be used to pay for tuition. Check with the Financial Aid office on your campus concerning whether you can use any aid towards travel costs.
How can I register?
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. There are 20 spots total, with 10 seats reserved for SPAN 2312, and 10 seats reserved for PHTC 2331.
To register for the program, you must:
- Email Patricia Richards or Humberto Rodriguez for an application packet.
- Submit your $500 non-refundable deposit to the Business Services Office at Northeast Campus by January 25, 2019.
- Pay the remainder of your travel fees, due in 2 installments:
- $500 due by February 15, 2019
- $500 due by March 1, 2019
The initial $500 deposit is non-refundable (unless the courses are canceled). Tuition is separate and any refunds are covered by our tuition refund policies.
For more information, contact:
Updated December 10, 2018