Health Information Technology
Available on Trinity River Campus East Only
Health Information Technology (HIT) is a selective admission 2-year Associate of Applied Science degree program.
Role of Health Information Professionals
Health information technology (HIT) refers to the framework used to manage health information, and the exchange of health information in a digital format.
Health information professionals focus on the:
- Technical side of managing health information
- Software and hardware used to manage and store patient data
HIT professionals are usually from information technology backgrounds. They provide support for electronic health records and other systems health information management professionals use to secure health information.
For more details: What Is Health Information? from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
The Health Information Technology Program is committed to train health information management professionals to serve their community by managing patient data with accuracy and integrity for the purpose of advancing health, wellness, revenue and research.
Retention Rate by Cohort
Excludes returning students
- Fall 2013–Spring 2015: 74% (Intake 28, graduated 20 + 1 transfer)
- Fall 2012–Spring 2014: 67% (intake 25, graduated 16 + 1 transfer)
- Fall 2011–Spring 2013: 68% (intake 19, graduated 13)
Certificate Exam Pass Rate
- 2013–2014: 79%
- 2012–2013: 63%
- 2011–2012: 78%
Graduate Employment Rates
Within 1 year of graduating
Graduating class of:
- 2015: 82% (+4% in non-healthcare) as of October 2015
- 2014: 88%
- 2013: 85%
- 2012: 100%
Our Health Information Technology A.A.S. Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), 233 N. Michigan Avenue, 21st Floor, Chicago, Illinois, 60601-5800. Phone 312-233-1100.
Attending an information session is not an application requirement. You do not have to reserve a place, but seating is limited to the first 100 people.
2016 Dates & Times
- Saturday, November 19, at 1 p.m.
- Saturday, December 3, at 2 p.m.
All information sessions:
- Place: Trinity River Campus East (map)
- Room: TRHA 1050 (first floor)
Talk to an academic advisor
Appointments are required:
Questions? Call us:
- 817-515-2453 or
Updated October 20, 2016