What Is the TSI Assessment?
Beginning August 26, 2013, if you are in incoming college student in Texas, you are
required to take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment (PDF will open in a new window) – unless you are already exempt – to determine your readiness for college-level work.
You Cannot Pass or Fail the TSI Assessment
Based on how you perform, you may either be:
- Enrolled in a college-level course that matches your skill level
- Placed the appropriate developmental course or intervention to improve your skills
and prepare you for success in college-level courses
Please read the student brochure, TSI Assessment, (PDF will open in a new window) for answers to these frequently asked questions:
- Do I have to take the TSI Assessment?
- How does the TSI assessment work?
Can I Study for the TSI Assessment?
Yes, several study guide options are available.
From the College Board
How Much Does It Cost to Take the TSI Assessment?
The cost of the test is $29.
The fee is non-refundable.
How Do I Pay for the TSI Assessment?
- If you are a new-to-college student, contact your TCC advisor to get a Test Referral form for your campus.
- If you wish to retest, get a Test Referral from either your advisor or the Testing Center.
- Take your Test Referral form to the Business Services office on any TCC campus and pay the $29 test fee.
- Take your payment receipt from Business Services and your Test Referral form to the Testing Center.
How Long Does the TSI Assessment Take?
The TSI Assessment is not a timed test.
The average time to complete all three sections of the test is 3 - 5 hours.
What Do I Need to Bring with Me to the Test?
- A government-issued photo identification is mandatory!
- Examples: driver’s license, passport, military ID, high school ID
- Test Referral form.
- Payment receipt from Business Services.
Can I Bring A Calculator to the Test?
No. Calculators are not allowed.
No study materials, reference materials or calculators may be used during the test.
Cellular phones and all other communication devices are strictly prohibited in the testing room.
When Will I Get My Scores?
The TSI Assessment is scored immediately upon completion.
Students are given an unofficial copy of scores for advisement purposes.
How Do I Interpret my Scores?
Immediately following your test, you will proceed to Advising/Counseling. An advisor will interpret (PDF will open in a new window) your scores.
Can I Take the TSI Assessment Again?
Yes. You may retest at any time, upon availability.
You will need another Test Referral form (from your advisor or the Testing Center).
The retest will cost $29.
TSI Assessment Brochure Library
All documents are PDF and will open in a new window
Other Websites for Study and Review
Contact your TCC Campus Testing Center for more information.
Updated June 26, 2014