When a thunderstorm threatens, you should:
- Seek shelter in a permanent building.
- If in a wooded area, seek shelter in a low area under a thick growth of small trees.
- If in an open area, go to a low place such as a ravine or valley, but be alert for flash floods. If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to your knees and bend forward, putting your hands on your knees. Do not lie flat on the ground.
- Stay away from natural lightning rods, such as trees.
- Avoid projecting above the surrounding landscape.
- Get out and away from open water.
- Get away from tractors, lawnmowers and other metal equipment
- Get off and away from motorcycles and bicycles.
- Stay away from wire fences, rails and other metallic paths which could carry lightning to you from some distance away.
- Avoid standing in small isolated structures in open areas.
Updated February 10, 2016