In the case of severe winter weather, you should:
- Stay indoors during the storm.
- Not drive on icy roads unless absolutely necessary.
- Wear several layers of lightweight clothing to keep you warm if you must go outside. Gloves/mittens and a hat will prevent loss of body heat. Cover your mouth to protect your lungs.
- Understand the hazards of wind chill, which combines the cooling effect of wind and cold temperatures on exposed skin. As the wind increases, heat is carried away from a person's body at an accelerated rate, driving down the body temperature.
- Walk carefully on snowy or icy sidewalks.
- Be extremely careful when shoveling snow after the storm. Take frequent breaks and avoid overexertion.
Updated February 10, 2016