- Do not use passwords that are based on words you can find in the dictionary.
- Do not use consecutive numbers or letters.
- Use both upper and lowercase letters.
- Use a combination of both letters and numbers.
- Try to ensure that your passwords are a minimum of 6-8 characters long.
- Do not write your passwords down if you can help it, but if you must, do not leave them on or near the computer.
- If you must store personal information on your machine, encrypt it.
In The Office
- When leaving the office unattended, even for a short period of time, secure your personal effects and do not leave office keys lying in plain sight.
- Notify campus police if you notice suspicious persons or vehicles, especially after normal working hours.
- Be extra careful in stairwells and isolated or poorly-lighted restrooms.
- In an elevator, stand near the controls and locate the emergency button.
- Do not get in an elevator with someone who looks suspicious to you.
- Know your co-workers and look out for each other.
Updated January 20, 2023