Third Attempt Rule
The additional tuition charge is $60 per credit hour for courses you attempt three or more times. The additional tuition charge is subject to change each year upon action of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Why a higher tuition for third attempts?
In 2002, the Texas Legislature eliminated funding to higher education for courses that are attempted three or more times.
State regulation allows an institution of higher education to compensate for this loss by charging a higher tuition rate to a student whose hours can no longer be submitted for state funding.
When does the third attempt rule apply?
The higher tuition rate will apply when you:
- Take the same or substantially similar course content
- Attempt a course more than twice
- Are graded (A, B, C, D, F, and in some instances NC or CR) and/or drop courses after census (I, W)
Courses exempted from funding limitations include:
- Community and Industry Education
- Repeatable courses (Indicated within individual course description)
- Effective for Spring 2018, Courses approved through drop exception process (Drop 6 Rule)
- Required courses for degree during final semester before graduation (Students should complete the Third Attempt Rule Exemption Form (link will open in a new window) and submit it to their campus Admissions and Registrar Office. The exemption applies for only one semester.)
What You Need to Know
- Effective with the Fall 2016 term, if you're receiving a tuition waiver or exemption, you will be responsible for paying any additional charges when attempting a course three or more times.
- There is not an appeal process to waive the higher tuition rate.
- If you have financial aid, you may use it to cover the additional tuition charge.
- If you are taking a class for the second time and are considering a third attempt in the future, you should consult an instructor or advisor.
- If you are unsure about your status, you can talk with an advisor to determine if you are taking a course for a third time.
Updated July 09, 2019