Quick Program Facts
- Institutional Award: 304 certificate hours
- Number of courses: 5
- Accreditation: International Council of Accreditation (ICA)
- Financial aid: Tuition Assistance
- Campus: Trinity River
- Certification: You can become eligible to apply for the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA®) certification examination with the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO)
Attending an information session is an application requirement.
Health Care Professions Advising Resource Hub
Role of the Ophthalmic Assistant
Our program prepares you for entry-level work in an:
- Ophthalmology office
- Optometry office
- Optical office setting
You will learn to:
- Test and measure eye function
- Fit and dispense contact lenses and eyeglasses
- Perform other office duties, such as:
- Appointment scheduling
- Third-party management
Credentials in Detail
After successfully completing all required courses and 500 hours (within 12 months) of documented work hours related to ophthalmology, you will be eligible to apply for the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA®) certification examination with the Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO).
Eligibility & Prerequisites
- High school diploma or GED.
- TSI-met or passing score on the Adult Basic Education (TABE) test, if applicable
Check course availability
Go to the Course Catalog under the Academics menu in MyTCCTrack and search for courses and course sections. Under the Advanced Search tab select the appropriate CE term. (Example: CE Qtr 3 2021 Mar-May)
How to Apply
- Attend an information session.
- Submit your certification of completion form.
- Gather the required supporting documents & scan them if applicable.
- Test score(s), if applicable
- College transcript(s), official or unofficial, with a grade of "C" or higher to waive TSI/TABE
- Download, print & fill out the application.
- We will post the application here once the next program is scheduled.
- Submit your application via U.S. Postal Service or in person to:
- Brenda McKeon
Trinity River Campus East
245 East Belknap Street
Fort Worth, TX 76133
- Brenda McKeon
- Register for class.
- Once you have been accepted, you may register for Ophthalmic Assistant courses.
If you need to request accommodations, please call us at 817-515-1484.
Trinity River Campus
Health Care Professions
Advising Resource Hub
Advising by Appointment
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Updated September 16, 2021