Apply to the Law Enforcement Academy
Cadets hired by local agencies are given priority, but we do offer opportunities to individuals when space is available.
See on this page:
How to Apply
To apply as an independent candidate, you must:
- Complete the Academy Interest & Initial Screening Form
- We use the interest form/questionnaire to determine if you meet minimum requirements
for enrollment, including requisites mandated by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement
If you meet minimal entry requirements:
- We use the interest form/questionnaire to determine if you meet minimum requirements for enrollment, including requisites mandated by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Complete a personal history statement and Law Enforcement Academy application.
- We will email the statement form and the application to you.
- You will have 14 days to submit these forms.
- Complete a physical fitness test.
- Once we review your application and personal history statement, we will schedule you for a physical fitness test.
- The test consists of a 2000-meter row for time on a Concept 2 rowing machine. You must score in the 30th percentile or higher to continue in the application process.
- For instructions on proper form and technique, watch this video from Concept 2: Proper Rowing Machine Technique, Improve Your Rowing
- To calculate the time necessary to reach the 30th percentile based on your gender, age, and weight, see the Texas Department of Public Safety Concept 2 Rower Calculator. Under Desired Results, enter 30.
- Complete and pass the Law Enforcement Academy entrance exam.
- If you pass the physical fitness test, we will schedule you for the Academy entrance exam.
- Be 21 years of age before completion of the 776-hour Academy. See TCOLE Statutes and Rules Handbook on the TCOLE websiteListen for more information.
- Meet TCOLE minimum requirements for licensing.
- Complete the application packet from the Criminal Justice Training Center. (Packets for employed students are sent to agencies only.)
- Pass a complete medical and psychological exam.
- Be able to perform strenuous physical activities.
- Show proof of Bacterial Meningitis vaccination if under the age of 22.
Items that are needed with your application:
- Texas Driver's License
- Birth Certificate or Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- High School Diploma or HSE
- College Transcript(s) (if any)—including TSI Assessment scores
- DD Form 214 or military discharge papers (applies to those that have served in the military)
Your application must be completed and reviewed.
After all applications have been reviewed, a Basic Police Officer Academy (BPOA) Coordinator will contact the selected individuals.
Please wait for them to review your application before you contact them.
Law Enforcement Academy—Public Safety Training Center
Sha King, Basic Peace Officer Coordinator
Law Enforcement Academy—In-Service Programs
Sable Cantu, Administrative Assistant I
Updated June 13, 2021