Apply to the Police Academy
Cadets hired by local agencies are given priority, but we do offer opportunities to individuals when space is available.
To apply as an independent candidate, you must:
- Complete an interest form/questionnaire. This document is used to determine if you meet minimum requirements for attendance, including requisites mandated by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement.
- Complete additional paperwork, to be mailed to you after you complete the questionnaire if you meet the minimum requirements. This includes your application and personal history statement.
Completion of these documents does not guarantee selection, as seats are limited and acceptance is competitive. We strongly encourage you to seek employment with a police department in conjunction with an independent application so as to increase chances of acceptance in the TCC Police Academy.
Documents submitted for attendance (including the personal history statement, criminal records checks, driver’s license checks and psychological examination) are only valid for 6 months from the time of submission. If you are not accepted to a class within that time frame, it will be necessary to complete those documents again to continue in our process.
- Be 21 years of age before completion of the 736-hour academy. See TCOLE Statutes and Rules Handbook for more information.
- Meet TCOLE minimum requirements for licensing.
- Complete the application packet from the Criminal Justice Training Center. (Packets for employed students are sent to agencies only.)
- Pass a complete medical and psychological exam.
- Be able to perform strenuous physical activities.
- Show proof of Bacterial Meningitis vaccination if under the age of 22.
Items that are needed with your application:
- Texas Driver's License
- Birth Certificate or Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- High School Diploma or GED
- College Transcript(s) (if any) – including TSI Assessment scores
- DD Form 214 or military discharge papers (applies to those that have served in the military)
Your application must be completed and reviewed.
After all applications have been reviewed, Rafael Perea will contact the selected individuals.
Please wait for them to review your application before you contact them.
Rafael Perea, MS-CJ
Police Academy Coordinator
Updated February 05, 2018