ALEKS PPL Assessment
The ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment is used to determine the most appropriate math courses for you as you move forward with college math coursework. ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map your strengths and weaknesses.
After the assessment, an individualized Prep and Learning Module is available for you to refresh your knowledge on forgotten topics. Then you will have the opportunity to reassess and improve your placement.
TCC encourages you to spend time in the Prep and Learning Module, even if you achieved your desired score, because time spent in ALEKS PPL will ultimately lead to better preparation and improved grades.
Registering for the ALEKS PPL
When do I take it?
You may take the assessment at any time throughout the year prior to course registration. Scores are valid for one year from the test date. Please see the available hours for Testing Centers.
What do I get with my registration?
- Your initial placement assessment
- The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review
- Access to 4 additional placement assessments
How much does it cost and how do I pay for the ALEKS PPL assessment?
- Obtain a Testing Referral form from Advising and Counseling or Testing Centers.
- Take your Test Referral form to the Business Services office on any TCC campus and pay a $20 charge for the ALEKS PPL assessment.
- Go to aleks.com and select SIGN UP NOW! Under the ‘Registered Users’ box.
- Enter the provided 10-character class code and click Continue.
- Confirm that you are enrolling into the proper cohort. If this is the proper cohort, click Confirm.
- A software tutorial session will automatically begin after you complete registration. You must complete this tutorial before you come to Testing Services for your first assessment.
- Take your payment receipt from Business Services and your Test Referral Form to Testing Centers.
What do I need to know before I take the ALEKS PPL assessment?
- Find out how to answer the test questions by reading our preparing for your assessment page.
- You must already be TSI Met with TSI Assessment score of 350+, or TSI Exempt.
- ALEKS PPL assessment cut scores are valid for 1 year.
- You can have up to 5 attempts at the assessment per ALEKS PPL access. There must be a 48 hour waiting period between each retake, in addition to at least 3 hours of review in the software.
- The 5 attempts must be completed within one year from the initial test date.
- TCC does not accept ALEKS PPL scores from other institutions.
Contact your local Testing Center for more information.
Updated April 18, 2019