Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Service animals and emotional support animals serve different purposes and therefore have differing policies.

Service Animals vs Emotional Support Animals


Service Animals Emotional Support Animals
Required due to a disability Provide comfort just by being with a person
Trained to perform work or a task for the individual with a disability that directly relates to the person's disability Not trained to perform work or a task for the individual with a disability
Does not have to be registered with the SAR Office, but can be voluntarily Emotional support animals are governed by the federal Fair Housing Act, whose authority only extends to on-campus housing

Requirements for Service Animals

Service animals brought to TCC campuses must be:

  • A dog (according to the ADA's definition of a service animal)
  • Under the control of their handler
  • Harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of tasks
  • Housebroken
  • Prevented from creating a disturbance

Your animal may be asked to leave campus if it is out of control and/or is not housebroken.

Service Animal Resources

Updated October 06, 2023