About Our Respiratory Care Program
Respiratory Care by the numbers
- 2.5: minimum GPA to be eligible to apply
- 70: minimum score for each section of the HESI A2 Admission Exam
- 28: up to 28 applicants accepted each application period
- 70-100: average number of prospective students who apply to our program each application period
- $7,283: approximate cost of the program (including prerequisite courses)
- 98%: Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) credentialing success
- 94%: Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credentialing success
To prepare graduates to be successful, confident and competent professional therapists who provide excellent patient care.
How our program works
You need to commit to full-time schedule for 5 consecutive semesters (21 consecutive months).
You must also be able to plan your other coursework around the schedule of core Respiratory Care courses.
Part-time, weekend and distance learning are not available.
Program courses, labs and clinics are generally held Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Clinics may start as early as 6 a.m. and possibly include afternoon or evening rotations.
There is little or no time for outside work during program.
From the second semester until the end of the program, you will have a great amount of patient contact with rotations through area hospitals and health care facilities.
Successful completion of this program requires a grade of “C” or better in all courses.
Approximately $7,283 (includes prerequisite and program courses, books, immunizations, prerequisites, etc.)
See our detailed Program Cost Analysis
After completing our program, you are eligible to take these credentialing exams:
National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist (CPFT)
- Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (RPFT)
- Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty (NPS)
- Adult Critical Care Specialty (ACCS)
- Sleep Disorders Specialty (SDS)
National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB)
Trinity River Campus
Health Care Professions
Advising Resource Hub
Advising by Appointment
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Updated August 02, 2021