Am I eligible for PLA?
- Complete at least 1 full semester (fall, spring, summer) at TCC
- Be enrolled at TCC during the semester credit is awarded
- Have successfully completed (grade of “C” or better) 6 semester credit hours at TCC before posting the PLA credit
You can earn Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) credit only for courses that apply to your current program of study on record.
If you have already taken or attempted a course, you cannot apply for PLA credit for that same course—excludes CLEP.
You can use only courses on the approved lists to request PLA credit.
Credit awarded through PLA for an:
- Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree: not to exceed 75% of semester credit hours
- Associate of Applied Science degree or certificate: not to exceed 40% of the required technical courses
To satisfy graduation requirements, you must complete a minimum of 25% of the semester credit hours for your TCC degree or certificate at TCC.
The credit you earn by PLA does not count toward the residency requirement.
Eligibility for Benefits
Posting PLA credit to your transcript could impact your eligibility for financial aid and veterans benefits. We encourage you to contact Student Financial Aid Services or a veterans counselor for more information.
Ask a PLA Contact on your campus
Email us: PLA@tccd.edu
Updated January 20, 2023