Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Finish faster & save money
We recognize that you may have gained college-level knowledge outside of the traditional classroom.
That is why we offer Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Apply what you have already learned to fast-track your TCC certificate or degree program.
Also see Transfer of Credit in the catalog.
5 ways to earn college credit
PLA is how we review and assess your prior learning to grant you college credit.
- Standardized Exams: Earn credit for your past studies through:
- Credit-by-Exam / Experience: Request this option to show you have existing knowledge and skills that correspond to TCC courses.
- Professional Certifications & Licenses: See if your professional certificates and training can apply toward your TCC degree or certificate program.
- Continuing Education to Undergraduate Courses: Request that your TCC continuing education cross-listed course credit be converted to an undergraduate credit.
- Military / Veteran Service & Training: Find out if your military service and training apply toward your TCC degree or certificate program.
We do not award credit for prior learning from third party online educational solutions—such as Sophia Learning, StraighterLine, edX, and lynda.com—or from non-military American Council on Education (ACE) credits.
Is PLA an option for me?
Start by talking to your career advisor or veterans counselor
Your advisor can explain our PLA methods and help you decide which option(s) are most appropriate for your unique background.
Check the details
Ask a PLA Contact on your campus
Email us: PLA@tccd.edu
Updated August 22, 2023