Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Finish faster & save money
We recognize that you may have gained college-level knowledge outside of the traditional classroom.
That is why we offer Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). See Transfer of Credit in the catalog.
Apply what you have already learned to fast-track your TCC certificate or degree program.
5 ways to earn college credit
PLA is how we review and assess your prior learning to grant you college credit.
- Standardized Exams: Earn credit for your past studies through:
- Credit-by-Exam / Experience (CBE): Request this option to show you have existing knowledge and skills that correspond to entry-level TCC courses.
- Professional Certifications & Licenses: See if your professional certificates and training can apply toward your TCC degree or certificate program.
- Continuing Education to Undergraduate Courses: Request that your continuing education course credit be converted to an undergraduate credit.
- Military Service & Training: Find out if your military service and training apply toward your TCC degree or certificate program.
We do not award credit for prior learning from third party online educational solutions—such as Sophia Learning, StraighterLine, and edX—or from non-military American Council on Education (ACE) credits.
Is PLA an option for me?
Start by talking to your academic advisor or a PLA advisor
Your advisor can explain our PLA options and help you decide which option(s) are most appropriate for your unique background.
Check the details
Ask a PLA Advisor on your campus
Email us: PLA@tccd.edu
Updated November 27, 2018