College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Earn college credit by showing mastery of a college subject with the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
- All TCC Testing Centers administer all 34 CLEP exams.
- Visit the College Board CLEP Web pages for exam descriptions, fact sheets, and scores.
- CLEP exams are administered by appointment only.
- You do not have to be currently enrolled as a TCC student to take a CLEP exam.
- Official results can take up to 4 weeks.
- All our Testing Centers process CLEP scores from other colleges for TCC credit.
Posting Credits to Your TCC Transcript
- If you plan to have your CLEP credit posted to your TCC transcript, request a CLEP test referral from an academic advisor before scheduling your test. Contact academic advising to request your referral.
- If you already took the CLEP test at another institution or remotely and want to have your CLEP credit posted to your TCC transcript, contact academic advising to discuss your eligibility.
- To send your score to another institution, you do not need a test referral and can continue scheduling your test.
TCC Course Credit for CLEP Exams
TCC gives credit for 22 of the 34 CLEP exams and allows up to 18 semester hours to be earned toward a degree or certificate. Review the list of CLEP exams approved for TCC course credit.
How do I request course credit?
Through our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process, you can request TCC college credit if you earn the required scores on a CLEP Exam.
Visit How to Get PLA Credit: CLEP Exams for the details.
Am I eligible?
- Complete at least 1 full semester (fall, spring, summer) at TCC
- Be enrolled at TCC during the semester credit is awarded
- Have successfully completed (grade of “C” or better) 6 semester credit hours at TCC before posting the PLA credit
- $90 CLEP exam fee
- $25 Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee per course
- There is a 3-month waiting period.
- The exam fee and PLA fee must be repaid.
Register for the CLEP Test
CLEP tests are administered only during the regular fall (September–November) and spring (January–April) semesters.
No summer CLEP tests are given.
All students must show one of the following current IDs to take the CLEP test:
- Driver's license (A DMV receipt for ID renewal may be presented with an expired ID)
- State-issued ID card
Expired IDs, photocopies, or digital pictures of IDs will not be accepted.
Make an Appointment
Request your appointment time and pay testing fees for your campus through RegisterBlast.
- Northeast Campus test request form
- Northwest Campus test request form
- South Campus test request form
- Southeast Campus test request form
- Trinity River Campus test request form
Sign Up for the CLEP Test
Take your CLEP Exam with Remote Proctoring via CollegeBoard.
Contact Testing Services for more information about the CLEP test.
Updated August 09, 2022