College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Earn college credit by showing mastery of a college subject with the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
TCC's testing centers administer all 34 CLEP exams. Visit the College Board's CLEP website for exam descriptions, fact sheets, and scores.
However, TCC only gives credit for 21 of the 34 CLEP exams. You can earn up to 18 semester hours toward a degree or certificate. Review the list of CLEP exams approved for TCC course credit.
Before You Take the CLEP
Prospective TCC Students
We recommend you wait to take the CLEP until you're enrolled at TCC.
Testing Services will hold your scores for 365 days after you've taken the CLEP if you're not a current student. After 365 days, you are responsible for providing your scores to TCC when you enroll.
Current TCC Students
If you plan to have your CLEP credit posted to your TCC transcript, request a CLEP test referral from a career advisor before scheduling your test.
You do not have to be currently enrolled as a TCC student to take a CLEP exam.
To send your score to another institution, you do not need a test referral and can continue scheduling your test.
Registering for the CLEP
What are my testing options for the CLEP?
The CLEP is offered through one of the following options:
- Online through College Board
- In person by appointment only at an on-campus testing center
How do I register to take the CLEP online?
Visit College Board's CLEP website for registration instructions.
How do I register to take the CLEP at TCC?
You must make an appointment to take the CLEP at TCC.
CLEP tests are administered only during the regular fall (September–November) and spring (February–April) semesters. No summer CLEP tests are given.
Request your appointment time and pay testing fees for your campus through RegisterBlast.
- Northeast Campus Exam Registration (RegisterBlast)
- Northwest Campus Exam Registration (RegisterBlast)
- South Campus Exam Registration (RegisterBlast)
- Southeast Campus Exam Registration (RegisterBlast)
- Trinity River Campus Exam Registration (RegisterBlast)
What are the ID requirements to take the CLEP at TCC?
All students must show one of the following current IDs to take the CLEP test:
- Driver's license (A DMV receipt for ID renewal may be presented with an expired ID)
- State-issued ID card
- CLEP Student ID Form (PDF)Listen, available on the College Board website
Expired IDs, photocopies, or digital pictures of IDs will not be accepted.
When will I receive my scores?
Official results can take up to 4 weeks.
Retaking the CLEP
You must wait 3 months after your last attempt before you can retake the CLEP. You must also repay the exam and PLA fees.
For CLEP exams that require a departmental essay, TCC does not allow essay retakes. If you do not receive credit for the essay, you have the option to send your CLEP score report to another school for posting.
Posting Credits to Your TCC Transcript
TCC only gives credit for 21 of the 34 CLEP exams.
Am I eligible to request course credit?
You must meet the following requirements before Testing Services will process your CLEP scores for your TCC transcript:
- Complete at least 1 full semester (fall, spring, summer) at TCC
- Be enrolled at TCC during the semester credit is awarded
- Have successfully completed (grade of "C" or better) 6 semester credit hours at TCC before posting the PLA credit.
How do I request course credit?
You can request TCC college credit if you earn the required scores on a CLEP Exam. Visit How to Get PLA Credit: CLEP Exams for the details.
Cost of the CLEP
Fees are subject to change without notice.
- $93 CLEP exam fee
- $25 Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee per course
Contact your campus Testing Center for more information.
Updated January 02, 2024