Skip to main content

Form 1098-T FAQs

About the Form 1098-T

Information on the Form 1098-T

What is the Form 1098-T?

The Form 1098-T is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must be provided to each applicable student.

Why did I receive a 1098-T and what am I supposed to do with it?

In January of each year, the IRS Form 1098-T is made available if you had qualified tuition and other related educational expenses billed to you during the previous calendar year.

This form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. It serves to alert you that you may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for the tax credit.

To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, you (the taxpayer) should use your own financial records.

Can I receive my 1098-T form online?

You may obtain your 1098-T electronically for the current and previous years by logging into TCC WebAdvisor (you will need your password). You will find a 1098T Tax Information link there, under the Business Services heading. The electronic version is adequate for any reporting requirements.

You will not receive a mailed copy if you select the electronic form.

I did not receive a mailed copy of my Form 1098-T. Can I get another copy mailed to me?

TCC mails the Form 1098-T to students in January. If you did not receive your 1098-T, you may still access your 1098-T online through the 1098T Tax Information link, under the Business Services heading, in WebAdvisor. Prior year forms are also accessible.

Can I have my form emailed to me?

No. Due to the information provided on the Form 1098-T and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, TCC will not email the form 1098-T. Forms are available online at all times by accessing the 1098T Tax Information link through WebAdvisor.

What if the address on the 1098-T is incorrect?

It is not necessary that the address be correct for your reporting purposes. It is advisable, though, that you contact the Admissions and Registrar Office on your campus to correct or update your information for accurate communication with TCC.

Will I receive a 1098-T form if I'm a Dual Credit student?

You may receive a 1098-T form if you were enrolled in eligible courses. Receipt of the form does not guarantee you qualify for the federal income tax education credit. Please consult a tax advisor if you have any additional questions on the eligible credit for tuition paid by the student.

Am I required to give my social security number to the school?

Due to IRS regulations, you must furnish the school a Tax Identification Number (TIN) for 1098-T purposes. The most common Tax Identification Number is the social security number or the individual tax identification number (ITIN).

Visit the TIN website for more information.

How do I update my TIN with the school?

You can update your TIN by visiting your campus Admissions and Registrar Office and presenting proof of your TIN and a picture id. Learn how to make a record change request.

Why isn't there an amount in Box 1 "Payments received"?

The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the Form 1098-T. TCC reports the billed amount (Box 2). Therefore, payments received (Box 1) will be blank.

Why does it appear that there is missing information for one or more semesters I attended during the year reported?

Because TCC reports billed amounts, you may have enrolled (resulting in being billed) in one calendar year and yet paid in another calendar year. This typically occurs with the Spring semester when you may have enrolled early during the Fall semester.

Do the "Amounts billed" figures in Box 2 of my 1098-T equal the "Qualified expenses" I can claim on my taxes?

Not necessarily.

TCC is required to provide the "amounts billed" and "scholarship or grant" amounts to help you determine the amount of qualified expenses you can claim. Taxpayers may claim an education tax credit only with respect to qualified tuition and related expenses paid (not billed) during the calendar year.

You will need to review your payment records to determine the actual qualified expenses paid. Scholarships and grants received may reduce your eligible payment amounts. Contact the IRS or a tax advisor for information on determining your qualified expenses paid amount.

What amounts appear in Box 4 "Adjustments made for a prior year"?

This box shows the amount of any tuition and fee reductions in the current calendar year for charges that were billed in a previous calendar year.

What amounts appear in Box 6 "Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year"?

This box shows the amount of any scholarship or grant reductions in the current calendar year for aid that was credited in a previous calendar year.

Why is there no check mark in Box 8 "At least part-time"?

This box is checked if you were half-time or more for at least one term beginning during the year.

Why are Community and Industry Education or College for Kids billed amounts not reported on my Form 1098-T?

TCC does not consider Community and Industry Education courses eligible for reporting purposes.

Can I speak to someone directly about my 1098-T form?

TCC maintains a 1098-T hotline (817-515-1098) which you may call for assistance. You can speak to someone at the conclusion of the general information provided by pressing 9.

Please be advised, TCC can only speak to you, the student, about any financial information on your account due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Updated January 18, 2018