Applications for benefits should be submitted prior to registering for classes.
Applying for Your GI Bill®
Apply online at the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs for educational benefits and submit any required forms.
If this is your first semester using VA benefits at TCC, visit our How to Apply page for veterans to learn about any additional documents that may be required by TCC.
Remember, VetSuccess counselors from the VA are available to help you with every step of the process.
Chapter 30, 35, 1606 and 1607 Veterans
To be eligible for full-time benefits, the VA and TCC require:
- Twelve semester hours in a regular semester
- Four semester hours for each five-week summer semester
Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Veterans
- Are certified based on rate of pursuit.
- Must enroll in at least 51% of the hours required to be full-time students to receive
their monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).
- BAH rate for TCC students is based on the 76102 zip code.
- Will have your housing allowance be payable (except active duty individuals) if you're enrolled exclusively in distance learning classes. The amount to be paid for full time students will be 50% of the national average of the BAH for an E-5 with dependents.
Additional Educational Benefits
- Hazlewood Exemption: Education benefits for Texas veterans, and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans.
- MyCAA: Tuition assistance for eligible military spouses.
- Veterans Learning Community: Accelerated coursework opportunities at Northwest Campus.
Community & Industry Education Programs Approved for VA Education Benefits
Maintaining Your Benefits
You must submit a VA Certification Request each semester to continue using your benefits.
To submit this request, you must:
- Log in to WebAdvisor
- Select the Student Menu
- Select VA Certification Request in the bottom right under Veteran Admin. (VA) Services
- Complete the form
- Required documents can be uploaded and submitted with the request form.
- Detailed Instructions: How to Submit a Certification Request in WebAdvisorListen(PDF will open in a new window)
Required documents (PDFs will open in new window):
- Required Forms and Documentation by Chapter for Certification for VA Educational BenefitsListen
- The Dos & Don'ts of CertificationListen
Veteran certifications are completed in the District Admissions and Records Office.
Tuition and GI Bill Payments
Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits are paid only for courses required for your degree plan.
Veterans eligible for Chapter 33 benefits will have their tuition paid directly to TCC by the VA.
Veterans only eligible for partial (40%-90%) Chapter 33 benefits will be responsible for payment of the tuition difference between what the VA will pay TCC and the veteran's share. Eligible Chapter 30, 1607, and Chapter 33 veterans not eligible for full benefits, can use/receive both veterans' educational benefits and Hazelwood Act at the same time.
CH 33 Veterans Only: VA requires your Rate of Pursuit to be more than 50% for a veteran to receive BAH.
CH 30, 1606 & 1607 Veterans: VA requires you verify your enrollment at the end of the month through WAVE or by calling their toll-free number.
GI Bill Resources
- VA Education Forms
- Online Request for DD-214
- Online Request for a Certificate of Eligibility
- How do I verify my enrollment?
Updated June 05, 2017