Support for Students with Temporary Impairments

If you have a temporary impairment that may impact your academics, you're encouraged to talk to your instructors about how they can provide academic adjustments to support you for the duration of your impairment. In many cases, you may not need to come to Student Accessibility Resources (SAR) and can work informally with your instructors to get the support you need.

You may consult with SAR after speaking with your instructor to determine if any additional academic adjustments are needed beyond what is being provided by your instructor. The SAR department will assist faculty and students to navigate the process as necessary.

What's a temporary impairment?

Examples of temporary impairments include:

  • Broken limbs
  • Concussion
  • Hand injuries
  • Short term impairments after surgery or medical treatments

If a temporary illness/injury and need for academic adjustment is obvious (cast, sling, crutches, etc.), instructors are encouraged to informally work with you related to your impairment. If an instructor is unsure about an academic adjustment or the need for academic adjustments is not obvious, instructors are encouraged to contact Student Accessibility Resources (SAR).

Are temporary impairments protected under ADA?

Temporary conditions may not qualify for protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Impairments that last only for a short period of time are typically not covered, although they may be covered if they substantially limit a major life activity, according to the ADA.

There is no legal requirement for TCC to accommodate temporary illnesses or injuries. Instructors may or may not allow you to make up missed work due to temporary physical or medical condition or provide other adjustments.

What if I need more adjustments than my instructor can provide?

If additional academic adjustments are needed beyond what is being provided by your instructor, you must provide all paperwork documenting the need for adjustment to your home campus's SAR office.

Required Documentation

You will fill out the online SAR Student Request Form and provide medical documentation that addresses the following criteria:

  • Description of injury or illness
  • Severity
  • Functional limitations affecting academics
  • Prognosis
  • Estimated duration of the condition

It is also helpful to know any adverse side effects caused by medication and recommendations for academic adjustments.

The documentation should be recent enough to identify current limitations. Additional documentation may be requested to verify the need for continued services after the estimated duration of the condition has expired.

What are some possible adjustments I might receive?

Academic adjustments are approved on a case-by-case basis through an interactive process.

You may want to meet with a SAR Coordinator to discuss:

  • Note taking assistance
  • Testing assistance
  • Absence leniency
  • Information on accessible routes on campus and locations of elevators

SAR does not provide wheelchairs, personal attendants or transportation around campus.

Additional Student Support

  • CARE Team: Contact your campus CARE Team if you have concerns about a student, and think they may present a threat to themselves, the campus or the community.
  • Counseling: Meet with one of our campus counselors for help with personal and career concerns.
  • Health Services: Visit your campus Health Services to learn how to stay healthy during your college career.
  • Pregnant and Parenting Students: Rights and information for currently enrolled pregnant or parenting students.

Updated March 23, 2023