About Our Classes
We offer 3 daytime classes a year beginning in January, May and August for a 14-week period. Classes meet Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Classes consist of a combination of classroom and skills training.
At the end of the class, the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Fire Suppression (TCFP) certification exam is administered. If you succeed, you will be eligible to apply for the Basic Fire Suppression certification.
New: Blended Certification Class
We will offer a blended TCFP Basic Firefighter certification class with online instruction supported by face-to-face skills practice sessions.
- Dates: June 1–October 7, 2019
- Date: June 1, 2019
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Hands-on skills sessions:
- Saturdays—all day
- TCFP State Exam: October 4, 2019
- Graduation: October 7, 2019
In compliance with House Bill 1508: Upon completion of the Fire Academy program, you may be subject to a background check as part of the application process with the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
Earn a Certificate of Completion
After successfully completing our program, you receive a Basic Firefighter Certificate of Completion.
If you are a:
- Credit student, you can apply 12 of the 18 certificate hours toward our Associate of Applied Science degree in Fire Protection Technology
- Continuing education (non-credit) student, you can apply the 12 hours to your professional development (Learn more about the Non-Credit Basic Firefighter program)
- Military veteran, you may qualify for credit for military service, and can apply your coursework from
the Fire Academy towards an Associate of Applied Science degree in Fire Protection Technology. You must provide advance notice to the Northwest Campus Registrar's Office on how to apply your VA education benefits before enrolling in the Fire Academy.
Want More Details About Our Program?
Margaret Burns, Administrative Office Assistant
Fire Service Training Center
4801 Marine Creek Parkway
Fort Worth, Texas 76179
Updated June 18, 2019