Real estate brokers and sales agents help clients rent, sell, or buy property.
Brokers are licensed to manage their own real estate businesses. Sales agents must work with a real estate broker.
Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Real Estate?
- Complete our program—which is approved by the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)—to satisfy educational requirements
- Spend most of your work day on the go—not at a desk—because real estate brokers — sales agents spend much of their time touring properties or taking clients to see properties
- Specialize in residential or commercial properties, according to your interests
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Prepare contracts, purchase agreements, closing statements, deeds — leases
- Advise clients on the home buying process: prices, mortgages, market conditions
- Take prospective buyers to see properties
- Mediate negotiations between buyers — sellers
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
- Our A.A.S. degree program is the pre-license curriculum for the broker license.
- Our certificate program is the pre-license curriculum for the sales agent license.
- You will not be licensed as a sales agent or broker until you submit an application to TREC and pass the TREC license exams.
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Pre-license education for the broker license
Pre-license education for the sales agent license
The Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) has approved our Real Estate Program to satisfy educational requirements.
The 5 required pre-license education courses for a sales agent license are:
- RELE–1406 Principles of Real Estate (core real estate course)
- RELE–2301 Law of Agency (core real estate course)
- RELE–1311 Law of Contracts (core real estate course)
- RELE–1319 Real Estate Finance
- RELE–1300 Contract Forms & Addenda
For detailed information about pre-license education requirements, see TREC's Become a Real Estate Sales Agent.
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2022–2023 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to career and promotion opportunities.
Start on Your Pathway!
Timothy J. Murphy
Professor of Real Estate & Program Coordinator
Updated July 18, 2022