The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment is the state-approved placement test offered at TCC.
- Do I have to take the TSI Assessment?
- How does the TSI assessment work?
Registering for the TSI Assessment
Can I take the TSI Assessment over the summer?
If you attend TCC
Yes, you can take the TSI Assessment at a TCC Testing Center over the summer.
Check with your center for schedules.
If you attend an institution other than TCC
You can—but only until the end of July.
During the month of August, TCC Testing Centers do not administer the TSI for students attending other Texas institutions. Testing for other institutions ends July 31, 2017.
To take the TSI Assessment at TCC for another institution, you must:
- Complete an application for admission,
- Have a TCC ID number,
- Bring confirmation that you completed the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) at your institution, or preview the TCC PAA.
How much does it cost to take the TSI Assessment?
The TSI Assessment costs $29.
However, your testing fee is waived if you are a high school student between September 1, 2017–August 21, 2018, and you're
- A student attending a Tarrant County public, charter, private, or home school
- Classified as an in-county resident.
If you need to retake the TSI Assessment, there is no retest fee for current TCC students.
If you are testing for another college, you will need to pay a retest fee of $10 per section, or $29 for the entire test.
How do I pay for the TSI Assessment?
- If you are a new-to-college student, contact your TCC advisor to get a Test Referral form for your campus.
- If you wish to retest, get a Test Referral from either your advisor or the Testing Center.
- Take your Test Referral form to the Business Services office on any TCC campus and pay the $29 test fee.
- Take your payment receipt from Business Services and your Test Referral form to the Testing Center.
Taking the TSI Assessment
How long does the TSI Assessment take?
The TSI Assessment is not a timed test.
The average time to complete all 3 sections of the test is 3–5 hours.
What happens if I do not have time to finish the test?
You have 14 calendar days to complete the test.
If you do not return to the Testing Center within the 14-day period, you will have to begin again with Question 1 on the section of the test where you stopped.
What do I need to bring with me to the test?
- A government-issued photo identification is mandatory
- Examples: driver’s license, passport, military ID, high school ID
- Test Referral form
- Payment receipt from Business Services
Can I bring a calculator to the test?
No. Calculators are not allowed.
No study materials, reference materials or calculators may be used during the test.
Cellular phones and all other communication devices are strictly prohibited in the testing room.
What Happens After Your TSI Assessment
When will I get my scores?
The TSI Assessment is scored immediately upon completion.
You'll be given an unofficial copy of scores for advisement purposes.
How do I interpret my scores?
Immediately following your test, you will proceed to Advising/Counseling. An advisor will interpret your scores.
To satisfy TSI and course prerequisite requirements, you must meet or exceed the following college-ready scores:
|Subject Area||College-Ready Score|
|Writing||Placement score of at least 340 and an essay score of at least 4
Placement score of less than 340 and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least a 4 and an essay score of at least 5
You cannot pass or fail the TSI Assessment. Based on how you perform, you may either enroll in a:
- College-level course that matches your skill level
- College readiness course or intervention to improve your skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses
Can I take the TSI Assessment again?
Yes. You may retest at any time, upon availability.
You will need another Test Referral form (from your advisor or the Testing Center).
There is no retest fee if you're a current TCC student. If you’re a student from another college or university, you will need to pay a retest fee of $10 per section, or $29 for the entire test.
Can I transfer my scores to another Texas college/university?
Yes, there are 2 options available.
- Contact your intended school and request your official scores pulled from TCC.
- Log into WebAdvisor and print your score report. The test score report will print on a TCC letterhead. The link is located under the heading Academic Links as "Test Score Report."
Studying for the TSI Assessment
Can I study for the TSI Assessment?
Yes, two official study guide options are available free of charge.
From the College Board
- TSI Assessment Sample QuestionsListen (PDF will open in a new window)
Brochure provides practice questions and study information.
- TSI Web-Based Study App—Texas VersionApp features practice tests and allows you to familiarize yourself with the content areas on the test.
From Other Sites
TSI Assessment Brochure Library
All documents are PDF and will open in a new window
Contact your campus Testing Center for more information.
Have questions? AskTCC
Updated September 05, 2017