Automotive Service Technology
Automotive service technicians inspect, maintain, and repair cars and light trucks.
Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Automotive Service Technology?
- Prepare to be an entry-level automobile service technician in a dealership or maintenance center
- Learn about engines & tools and how they work
- Work with your hands & develop practical solutions to problems
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Test mechanical systems to diagnose issues
- Repair or replace worn or damaged mechanical parts
- Diagnose & repair problems with:
- Electrical systems
- Ignition & fuel delivery systems
- Emission systems
- Diesel engines & systems
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
- You are required to furnish your own hand tools to use in automotive services technology laboratory classes.
- You must enjoy learning because you will need to keep up with new materials and technologies.
- On the job, you may need to work in a variety of climactic conditions—depending on your workplace.
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Occupational Skills Award
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|AAS||Automotive Service Technology||60||$3,840|
|CRT1||Engine Analysis Technician||22||$1,408|
|CRT1||Heavy Line Technician||31||$1,984|
|OSA||General Service Technician||12||$768|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to career and promotion opportunities.
Start on Your Pathway!
Career & Technical Education (CTE) Advisor
Updated September 07, 2021