Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Horticulture?
- Take Horticulture courses during the day or at night
- We offer all courses at least once as a day or night course during a 2-year period.
- Gain practical experience & share your love & knowledge of plants by participating in our Annual Plant Sale
- Develop skills in general horticulture topics & specialties within ornamental & landscape horticulture
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Plant, water, spray, weed & fertilize plants, shrubs & trees
- Trim bushes, trees & hedges
- Use power equipment, such as mowers, saws, and electric clippers, to maintain lawns, bushes, and trees
- Evaluate condition of plants & overall landscaping
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
- You will work outdoors and in all weather conditions.
- Some aspects of outdoor landscaping work can be physically demanding, such as shoveling, lifting, and bending.
- You may work with chemicals, such as fertilizers and pesticides, and will need to wear protective gear.
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Occupational Skills Award
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2022–2023 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|CRT1||Plant Health Specialist||19||$1,216|
|CRT2||Horticulture Business Management||40||$2,560|
|OSA||Horticulture Basic Skills||13||$832|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to career and promotion opportunities.
Start on Your Pathway!
Horticulture Learning Lab Manager
Career Advisor—Public Services Division
Please call or email me to make an appointment.
Janice Smith, Ph.D.
Dean of Math & Sciences
Updated January 20, 2023