Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why Choose Paralegal Studies
- Be a valued members of a legal team
- Help lawyers prepare for hearings, trials, real estate closings & client meetings
- Have the opportunity to participate in the legal process as an assistant to an attorney without being directly responsible to the client for the legal work
Prepare for What You Will Do at Work
- Prepare legal documents, such as legal correspondence, legal briefs, contracts, or wills
- Maintain & organize legal documents
- Research & investigate facts to support legal proceedings
- Organize exhibits or perform similar tasks to prepare for & assist with trials
- Prepare documents for real estate closings
Marketable Skills You Will Learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before You Enroll, Think About:
- You need to be ready and able to work effectively in a high pressure office environment
to ensure that matters are handled in a timely manner:
- Keep up with deadlines
- Keep track of the specifics of individual cases
- You need to be meticulous and detail oriented and have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- As a paralegal, you will work closely with clients and need to be prepared to work with individuals who are in crisis.
- Our program does not qualify you to take a Bar Exam, represent clients in court, or give legal advice.
Program Goals & Objectives
To prepare you to become paralegals by providing:
- Practical knowledge of the law
- Practical knowledge of the legal profession
- Practical knowledge of the paralegal’s role in the legal profession
Upon completion of the program, you will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization & structure of the American Legal System
- Perform legal & factual research using both traditional sources & computerized information resources
- Draft legal documents
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze, research & report on a variety of legal issues and situations
- Demonstrate understanding of the rules of professional conduct governing lawyers & paralegals
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Advanced Technical Certificate
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2023–2024 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate
|Semester Credit Hours
|Total Tuition & Fees
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Continuing Education Programs
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. See our Paralegal Transfer Policy for details about transferring legal specialty and general education courses.
Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to promotion opportunities. For example, you will be ready to work toward:
- Bachelor of Applied Science programs
- Bachelor of Arts programs in government with paralegal options
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science programs in Paralegal Studies or Legal Studies
Start on Your Pathway!
Professor & Program Coordinator
Updated October 30, 2023