- Pathway: Arts & Humanities
Visual artists use a variety of media and techniques to create art.
Explore on This Page
Why Choose Visual Arts?
- Follow your passion to create artworks using the media you love, such as paint, pen & ink, charcoal, printmaking, or sculpture
- Experiment with different media—you may find a new passion
- Develop a portfolio to showcase you work & artistic vision
- Use visual elements to communicate feelings, ideas, or commentaries
Prepare for What You Will Do at Work
- Use the media & techniques of your choice to create artworks
- Develop creative ideas for you art
- Sketch or build models to help develop your vision
- Participate in gallery openings, auctions, craft fairs, online marketplaces, etc. to exhibit your work
- Give art lessons or teach art in schools
Marketable Skills You Will Learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before You Enroll, Think About:
- You can gain real life experience by participating in exhibits at our campus galleries.
- You need to consider where you will create your art. Will you be able to:
- Work in a studio space in your home?
- Share studio space with another artist?
- Rent studio space in a warehouse, studio compound, or loft?
- Dedication, discipline, passion, talent, and initiative are important qualities for successful artists.
- Artists work full time and are often self-employed, so you will benefit from being ready to manage the business side of your art.
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2023–2024 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Semester Credit Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|AA||Associate of Arts in Visual Arts||60||$4,140|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Continuing Education Programs
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to promotion opportunities.
While our program is designed to prepare you to pursue your artistic interests, you may be ready to work toward an advanced degree—depending on the university.
Start on Your Pathway!
Chair, Art Department
Frederick C. Spaulding
Associate Professor of Art
Chair, Fine Arts
Brandy M. Niccolai-Belfi
Associate Professor of Dance
Instructional Assistant & Coordinator of The Art Corridor Galleries
Trinity River Campus
Angel E. Fernandez
Communications & Fine Arts Department
Updated October 30, 2023