Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why Choose Child Development?
- Contribute to the safe, nurturing & healthy care of children
- Gain hands-on experience at our Children's Center, which is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Learn the theory & best practices of child development that will give you an advantage in finding a job
- Take courses in all areas of child development, including the 2 courses that lead to state licensure (which does not expire) for a director of a child care center.
Prepare for What You Will Do at Work
- Advocate for the rights of children
- Encourage healthy growth & development of the whole child, including physical, cognitive, emotional & social development
- Ensure safe environments when working with children
- Develop interactions, hands-on experiences & creative activities to maintain an enriching learning environment
- Address the needs of each child by implementing developmentally appropriate practices
Marketable Skills You Will Learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before You Enroll, Think About:
You must love children and want the best for them.
- Texas Success initiative (TSI) requirements:
- Certificate programs: You will need to pass the Reading and Writing sections.
- Degree program: You will also need to pass the Math section.
- Course sequence: Our degree program includes 4 courses that must be completed in a specific sequence. Talk to an advisor before enrolling in classes to be sure to take these courses in the right order.
- Lab hours: Several of our courses require 4-8 hours a week of Lab. We can often work with you if you are employed during the day, but you must talk to your instructor to make arrangements before the semester begins.
You must complete field experience and laboratory hours. If you do not meet the required hours within a given semester, you will not pass the course.
Field experience helps you see the relationships between theory and practice.
You gain hands-on experience as you:
- Observe master teachers
- Develop professional and personal strengths
- Acquire essential skills necessary to become a teacher
Criminal Background Checks
You will be required to undergo a criminal background check to enroll in field experience courses and some laboratory courses. A criminal history check will be repeated once a year for every student enrolled in 1 of these courses.
Some courses will also require an additional fee for finger printing.
Licensing Notice: Texas House Bill 1508
This program prepares you for an occupational license. However, you may not be eligible for licensing if you have a prior criminal history.
For more details, see Texas House Bill 1508 Licensing Requirements
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
The A.A.S. in Child Development at Tarrant County College is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Early Childhood Higher Education Programs of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
The current accreditation term runs from July 2022 through December 2024.
Learn more about our mission, goals, and courses as well as our students' achievements:
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2023–2024 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Semester Credit Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|CRT1||After School Provider||26||$1,794|
|CRT1||Preschool Child Care Provider||27||$1,863|
|CRT2||Child Care Administration||39||$2,691|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Continuing Education Programs
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to promotion opportunities.
While our program is designed to prepare you to enter the workforce, you may be ready to work toward:
- Bachelor of Arts and Applied Sciences in Child and Family Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Child Development
- Bachelor of Science in Human Development and Family Science
Start on Your Pathway!
Updated October 30, 2023