- Pathway: Human & Public Service
- Campus: Multiple Campuses
Teachers educate children in kindergarten through 12th grade.
Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Teacher Education?
- Earn your Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) at TCC & easily transfer to one of our many partner 4-year colleges or universities to complete your bachelor's degree & earn Texas teacher certification
- Be able to balance your work or personal life with our conveniently scheduled classes
- Gain both a general education foundation & a specialization
- Share your passion for teaching & learning in a field that is intrinsically rewarding
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Develop lesson plans & assignments for teaching subjects to students
- Grade exams & evaluate projects
- Prepare students for required standardized tests
- Assess students’ special needs & adapt lessons
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
- Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment
- You must earn college-ready scores or higher.
- For our degree programs, you must pass the Math section of the TSI:
- EC-6th or Grades 4–8 A.A.T.: Algebraic math pathway required
- High school A.A.T.: Algebraic math pathway not required
- Our A.A.T. requires a minimum GPA of 2.75.
You are required to observe certified teachers in a classroom setting (private or public). We schedule classroom observations on an individual basis, primarily according to your availability.
Each teacher education (EDUC) course requires you to participate in a minimum of 16 hours of field experience.
Criminal Background Checks
You must undergo a criminal background check before registering for any teacher education (EDUC) course. Once a year, criminal background checks are conducted at both campuses.
See your campus Field Placement Contact for more details.
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
|NE Northeast Campus||SE Southeast Campus|
|NW Northwest Campus||TR Trinity River Campus|
|SO South Campus||CN TCC Connect Campus|
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
|AAT||Associate of Arts in Teaching (EC-6)||60||$3,840|
|AAT||Associate of Arts in Teaching (4-8 EC-12 Special Education)||60||$3,840|
|AAT||Associate of Arts in Teaching (8-12 EC-12 Other Than Special Education)||60||$3,840|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to promotion opportunities.
While our program is designed to prepare you to enter the workforce, you may be ready to work toward:
- Bachelor of Science in in Multidisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Education (Core Subjects with Special Education)
- Bachelor of Science in Education (4–8 English, Language Arts & Reading)
Start on Your Pathway!
Rosa Mendez, Ph.D.
Chair of Child Development & Teacher Education
Field Placement Contact
Shereah Taylor, Ed.D.
Associate Professor & Coordinator of Teacher Education Programs
Field Placement Contact
Updated September 07, 2021