Vocational nurses care for ill, injured, or disabled patients in a variety of health care settings under the appropriate supervision of a registered nurse, advanced practice registered nurse, physician assistant, physician, dentist, or podiatrist.
Explore on This Page
Job Titles & Career Info
Why choose Vocational Nursing?
- Fulfill your passion for service to others
- Have a choice where you live & work because Licensed Vocational Nurses are needed everywhere
- Enter the health care workplace relatively quickly
- Be eligible to enter the TCC Nursing program after completing & passing NCLEX-PN
Prepare for what you will do at work
- Administer & record prescribed medications, fluids & feedings
- Monitor & record patients’ vital signs
- Observe patients & report changes in their conditions
- Answer patients’ calls & determine how to best help them
Explore the professional organization
Marketable skills you will learn
- Critical thinking
- Personal & social responsibility
- Computer literacy
Before you enroll, think about:
Texas Veterans Commission (TVC)-approved
You can use your Veterans Administration (VA) educational benefits to pay for this program.
Questions? See VetSuccess on Campus
Credentials in detail
Our program will prepare you to sit for the NCLEX-PN® (National Council Licensure Examination) so you can deliver quality, safe medical care.
Vocational Nursing is a selective admission program.
After being accepted to TCC, you must meet the selective admission requirements to be eligible to submit a separate application to our Vocational Nursing program.
Get the details on these pages:
Need a boost to get ready for college?
Talk to your advisor about Developmental Studies if your TSI scores say you need some help in math or reading and writing.
Degrees & Certificates
Traditional VN Track
Apply for the 1-year program if you are eligible.
Already have Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Patient Care Technician (PCT) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification?
If you successfully pass the exam for this course, you can earn 3 semester credit hours toward a Certificate of Completion in Vocational Nursing:
- Acceptance into our VN Program
- Current Certification as a CNA, PCT or CMA
- At least 6 months of employment in an acute / chronic care setting
Our VN Program is approved by:
Texas Board of Nursing (BON)
333 Guadalupe #3-460
Austin, Texas 78701
How Much Time & Money to Finish?
2022–2023 Academic Year
|Degree or Certificate||Program Title||Hours||Total Tuition & Fees|
- Tuition is based on in-state, in-county rates.
- Totals do not include textbooks and other materials.
Time commitments and fees vary depending on the course.
Earn More Choices & More Money
Transfer to a college or university to continue your studies. Earning a bachelor’s degree opens the door to career and promotion opportunities.
Start on Your Pathway!
Trinity River Campus
Health Care Professions
Advising Resource Hub
Choose your Health Care Professions Advisor by the first letter of your last name:
- A–K: Cal Quigley, IV
- L–S: Janette Keen
- T–Z: Kimberlyn Moore-Debrossard
Advising by Appointment
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m.
Updated July 18, 2022