Occupational Safety & Environmental Technology
- Associate of Applied Science: 2-year program (60 semester credit hours)
- Certificates: Level 1 (22-24 semester credit hours)
- Job opportunities: Careers
- Full program is offered at: Northwest Campus
Occupational safety is a critical national issue that must be addressed in all settings. When you work in this discipline, you are focused on building and maintaining safe and healthy working environments that comply with local, state and federal regulations.
What You Will Learn
Our program prepares you to perform a wide variety of analytical tests and procedures that are essential in maintaining a healthy and safe working environment.
Our graduates add value to an organization because they:
- Interpret local, state and federal government regulations
- Monitor the work environment to provide safety assurances
- Collect samples of hazardous materials for testing
- Dispose of hazardous waste according to local, state and federal regulations
- Analyze the compositions of suspect environments
- Maintain inventory of hazardous or dangerous materials
- Complete compliance reports
- Conduct risk assessments and evaluations
- Instruct employees on safety and health protection techniques
- Develop and instruct employees in emergency action and contingency plans
- Plan proper storage of hazardous materials
- Develop and maintain a hazardous communications employee manual
Our program familiarizes you with the roles and functions of organizations that set health and safety standards, including:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
We also offer continuing education programs that do not require you to enroll in credit courses.
We encourage you to contact us before you register.
Community & Industry Education (non-credit)
Ali Williamson, Program Coordinator
Jasmine Gilmer, Academic Advisor–Public Services Division
Donna Herndon, Administrative Assistant
Please call or email me to make an appointment.
Updated August 24, 2018